User Tag List

Thread: Angry bird

Parrots

Conure

Angry bird

Hi. I joined so I could understand my bird. His name is Ceaser. He is a conure. I got him when my mother passed away. I picked him up in February and drove home from California to Ohio. He did well on the trip. He is about 27 years old. He has been plucking his feathers from many years. My mom loved her bird but he made a lot of noise so he was told to shut up a lot by others in the home. When I first brought him home he was afraid of me and would go to the back of the cage when I opened the door. He slowly has been getting more comfortable. He has gotten to the point where he is trying to bite us. We have dogs and a new kitten. We play with them a lot and it’s always load. I sometimes think he wants to play with us and that is why he bites. The dogs bite. The problem is he has been trying to bite so much I have not been able to give him treats for days. I have resorted to putting the treat bag between him and I. He bites the bag.
    I’m not trying to get. Him to do things he doesn’t want to do. I just want to make him happy.
    I talk to him all the time. He talks and squawks all the time.
    Please help me understand the anger.
    Thanks jeanette

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Welcome to PP Jeanette, I hope we can answer your questions.
    Parrots are LOUD, it is in their nature so I am afraid you are going to have to learn to live with it. He may adapt to his new surroundings and you never know he may stop plucking. Get some spray to help discourage him. Has he got a cozy to cuddle up to at night? That might help him settle.
    The biting is him trying to establish his place in the pecking order, try not to react and just put him back in the cage for a time out. Hopefully he will get the message that it doesn't help him to get your affection. If he is holding on hard try tickling the back of his neck, they love that (providing there are no pin feathers) and it may distract him.
    The bird should be kept in a room where you spend most of your time because they are genetically flock creatures and need company. The cat may prove to be a problem if it decides that it wants to play with the bird, one scratch from her claws releases venom which will give the bird a nasty death. So you may need to exclude the dogs and cat from that room at ALL times if they shows interest in the bird and definitely never let them have access when you are not there.
    My sister has two dogs, the smaller one is a petite black Labrador and thinks Casper would make a tasty snack when we go to stay so has to be kept out of the room. The other dog is a large beige Labradoodle and is terrified of our parrot so won't come into the room anyway.
    Good luck with the integration, please let us know what works and what doesn't so we can pass on the knowledge.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 12-15-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-15-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! For starters, 27 is an amazing age for a conure, but it may have some bad habits that have been years in the making. Definitely separate the bird from the kitten and dogs for safety.

For now, try covering the back half of his cage and give him a treat through the bars. Try using a sprig of millet because it will separate his beak from your fingers.

Was he biting when you mother had him? Have you had him checked by a vet? At that age, he may be suffering from arthritis or something like that which would make him grumpy. I would start all over with him. Just talking to him, treats and give him time to settle down. Every time he bites, the bite is reinforced as a defense mechanism. Right now the goal is to prevent the bite. This may be a long process but better to go at his pace. Please let us know how you are doing with him.

5. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-15-2018)

Parrots

Conure
    Thank you both for your replys. I feel like I am starting over with him. He does not come out of his cage. He doesn’t want anyone to touch him. I don’t have ANY problem with the noise level. I encourage his talking as much as I can. I even tell him he is making pretty sounds. I did take him to the vet because of his plucking but the vet did not test him for anything and wanted me to put him on a sedative to calm him down. I did not give him any. The vet told me he has never seen any cases of birds with mites so that could not be what his problem is. The aggression is new so I think he is getting comfortable with us. He is kept in the living room where we are all at. You have to walk by him when you walk in there. He can see the tv. I’m just trying to make the rest of hims life as enjoyable as I can.

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-24-2018), Dragonlady2 (12-24-2018), Lady (12-28-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    When the room is secure from other animals leave the door of the cage open for him to come and go as he pleases, some treats and toys on the top of the cage might tempt him out. Rather than having him step up onto a hand offer him a shoulder to step on to. It may not work the first time, or the tenth, but hopefully he will get the idea.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-24-2018), Lady (12-28-2018)