User Tag List

Thread: Concerns for new parrot and away time

Hybrid View

Parrots

Sargent the cockatiel

Concerns for new parrot and away time

Hello,

I am expecting a hand-tame cockatiel sometime this week, he was meant to be ready for pickup two weeks ago but I guess a language miscommunication got in between. (I live abroad and do not yet speak the language).

But with this new tight schedule before the holidays I am concerned that my coming bird’s health will suffer from very little time to bond with me before I need to go away for a week for Christmas. Seeing as I will need to travel back home from my current abroad residence. I have arranged bird watchers to come and make sure he has some company during the time I am gone every now and then but I feel that it is still not enough, and that he might grow to hate me for leaving him like that so early.

Are my concerns valid, and does anyone have any suggestions for how to make this time away less painful for my bird?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello Elin and welcome to PP.
    I don't think he will hate you as he will not have had enough time to get to properly know you before you leave. He may be a little confused by all the changes in his life but will be settling down into his new surroundings when you return. Have a relaxed Christmas break and start the bonding when you return.
    If both you and the carer have Skype or facetime you could agree to chat with them and view the bird while you are away.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-10-2018)

Parrots

Sargent the cockatiel
    Thank you!

That's a relief, and I had a similar idea myself to check in on my boy from time to time. I'm sure it will work out just fine then, and I'll be sure to introduce him on the site when he's settled in a bit.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-10-2018), Dragonlady2 (12-10-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! Casper’s 2nd best friend has given you a great answer. I find that parrots can be quite forgiving. I bet you will find that your new friend will adapt just fine. Slow and easy with him will give you good results.

7. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-10-2018)