User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you do for seeds in nostrils?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    If you use kitchen scales you can set them to zero including the weight of whatever you are going to put the bird in or on. Our vet uses a plastic bowl or you could use a cardboard box if she is likely to not stay put (they love playing in boxes by the way). We use a perch I made that fits on the scales. At first we had to bribe Casper to go on with a bit of nut but he just steps up now as it is such a routine.

How to weigh a parrot by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr
    There is an album of Casper pics on my flickr gallery.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-16-2018)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    I may have to towel her to weigh her - she will sometimes venture off of her cage but for the most part, she'll only sit on the top playstand or perches attached to the outside. I'll see if I can get her to accept a box and go from there, though.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-16-2018), Dragonlady2 (12-16-2018)

Parrots

Try putting some of her favourite food in the box - that should keep her busy long enough for you to weigh her

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    I'm starting to think this bird is just an extremely messy eater. I was petting her last night and found a bit of dried carrot from a treat mix in her head feathers.

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-31-2018), Dragonlady2 (12-30-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    My parrotlet has the same problem with food in his feathers. A good bath usually gets him sorted out.

9. The following user likes this post:

rivx (12-31-2018)

Parrots

If you look in a dictionary for the definition of "Parrot" you will find the words "messy eater"

maybe*

11. The following user likes this post:

rivx (12-31-2018)