User Tag List

Thread: Does Anyone Else Have This Issue?

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Does Anyone Else Have This Issue?

So, I don’t really cook much. Which gets a ton of eyebrow raises when my peers hear this. But I honestly have a valid reason. It’s too darn hard with Rosie.

When I do cook one of two scenarios takes place. Rosie screams bc she is on her tree and not with me. Within a minute or two my family members yell at me to get Rosie. My other option is to have her on me as I cook. Which is a frustrating and ridiculous task. I took a video last week while making dinner with my diva. It’s cut into multiple small videos to save time (I’m not great at video editing).

https://youtu.be/j0UKL0Rzzy4
    https://youtu.be/9jeLhFmEB0Y
    https://youtu.be/t2WiQ5LQWSk
    https://youtu.be/RUDZWRz5Fgg

Does anyone else have a similar issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kendrafitz; 11-29-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-29-2018), Dragonlady2 (11-29-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    We have a perch in the kitchen for Casper so he can supervise. Our kitchen is tiny and only has 6ft 3" headroom. The perch is a swing hanging from a beam across the entrance to an alcove where the fridge and the microwave are kept so he really feels part of what is going on.
    I think that if we had a Macaw it would block access to that part of the kitchen entirely
    Rosie is a lot like Casper in the way she climbs around on you but she is on an industrial scale. Does she dip her tale in the sauces so she can have a snack later cleaning her feathers?

Get the kids to cook?
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 11-29-2018 at 06:59 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-29-2018), kendrafitz (11-29-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Pepper, my conure, used to sit on the edge of the pot taking bites out of the potatoes as I was preparing them for cooking. I am pretty sure that if I had a bird the size of Rosie there wouldn’t be a potato left.
    She is a curious scamp. Most parrots are around your food.

Order in?

6. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-30-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Pepper, my conure, used to sit on the edge of the pot taking bites out of the potatoes as I was preparing them for cooking. I am pretty sure that if I had a bird the size of Rosie there wouldn’t be a potato left.
    She is a curious scamp. Most parrots are around your food.

Order in?
    That is sweet, I wouldn’t mind that very much. The constant shifting position, pinching, trying to grab whatever I have kills me. Plus I am always a mess worrying she is going to set her tail on fire.

Funny you say order in. That is what we do a lot.

Rosie & Kendra

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-30-2018), Dragonlady2 (11-30-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    We have a perch in the kitchen for Casper so he can supervise. Our kitchen is tiny and only has 6ft 3" headroom. The perch is a swing hanging from a beam across the entrance to an alcove where the fridge and the microwave are kept so he really feels part of what is going on.
    I think that if we had a Macaw it would block access to that part of the kitchen entirely
    Rosie is a lot like Casper in the way she climbs around on you but she is on an industrial scale. Does she dip her tale in the sauces so she can have a snack later cleaning her feathers?

Get the kids to cook?
    No tail dipping, she just tries to stick her head right in. Sigh.

Her problem is it doesn’t matter how close her stand is to me. She wants to be ON me or she is not happy.

Rosie & Kendra

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Parrots

She's a 'Velcro' girl.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-30-2018), kendrafitz (11-30-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    She's a 'Velcro' girl.
    Without a doubt!!!

Rosie & Kendra

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Aww Kendra, I feel for you. My only thought atm is that you prep your meals at a time when Rosie is sleeping? I think that you said she doesn't actually have a cage but spends her time on a tree, so next would be does she sleep close to the kitchen and if so could she get use to her tree being moved farther away from the kitchen in the evening so you could prep your meals?

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-12-2018), Dragonlady2 (12-12-2018), kendrafitz (12-12-2018)

Parrots

That sounds like a plan
    It goes all quiet in "the green corner" shortly after Casper has been shut in his cage, covered up and has had a quick snack before climbing up to his sleeping perch and cozy. There is usually not a peep out of him until he hears or smells stuff happening at breakfast time so you had better keep the kitchen door shut whilst prepping tomorrows dinner.

18. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-12-2018), kendrafitz (12-12-2018), Lady (12-23-2018)