User Tag List

Thread: Birds and Convection Oven

Birds and Convection Oven

Hi all,

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place. New to the forum.

I have just got a rainbow lori and I've also just purchased this.

http://www.kmart.com.au/product/12l-...on-oven/847303

I just want to know if this is safe to use?

I'm still waiting for it to arrive so i haven't used it yet and won't until i can be sure its ok.

I live in a shed type bedsit situation and as i have just got my lori Im keeping him inside to get used to me and i can tame him and then his cage will be out on the verandah during the day.

If this cooker isnt safe to use with him inside i will have to move him outside or not use it.

While it is an air fryer. Its made out of these three things. Borosilicate glass (bowl), polypropylene (base) and acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (head)

Forgive me if i sound silly, I've never owned a lorikeet and could use some advice. I'm glad a friend told me about teflon/ air fryers etc otherwise i wouldn't have known and the results would have been devastating.

Off topic a bit. My lori is a rainbow/red lorikeet x. He's 12 weeks old and absolutely wonderful. Such a character.

I can see the mischief coming out already.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-26-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Welcome to PP, that is a very interesting question.
    From what I can gather a basic microwave should be safe as long as there is no non-stick coating. I would imagine that you would need to be cautious of the fumes vented out when cooking so maybe avoid cooking mushrooms, rhubarb or avocado with the parrot in the room.
    The thing to avoid is overheating whatever you are cooking including (frying) oil.
    Just a basic answer because there are too many distractions here
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-26-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! It looks to be safe, but I am suggesting that you're able to monitor it when in use to prevent fumes from overheated/burning food.
    Lorikeets are such interesting birds. Can’t wait to see some pics.

6. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-26-2018)

Thank you so much for your responses.

I have spent hours online trying to find out if this is safe to use.

It has no teflon in it whatsoever as far as i can tell. As the bowl is glass. But in saying that. If i use it.. and something happens to him i will never forgive myself.

I did read when you first use it, it may smell odd... maybe fumes from first use. So I'm going to use it outside with an extension cord 😂

Airing it out on the patio is better than my bird breathing it in.

And yes i wont cook anything in it that could be toxic to birds.

When i figure out how to post a picture I'll get one up.

So as hes still settling in, ive just been talking to him alot, putting my hand in the cage to change food, water and put new toys in. He has a investigation of my arm with his beak yesterday, tried to dig out a wart on my wrist 😂

Hes learning to come to the edge of the cage when called and when he does i give him some grape (its his favourite so far) and hes really keen on broccoli too.

He had his first trip out of the cage today, hopped onto my bed, fell off... then decided to go back to the cage. So i left him to it. He didn't want to come back out again and im not going to force him to come out. so tomorrow im going to try again. Open the cage and let him out and see how we go.

As much as i just want to play and snuggle with him, i do understand he needs to get comfortable on his own terms so im taking it day by day with him.

So far ive seen no signs of agression or anything like that. If hes not comfortable with how close my hand is, he moves away and i don't push it on him. I want him to feel safe and secure.

Best part of waking up each day is getting to uncover him and say good morning and watching him hop up and down the cage as im prepping his breakfast. I hope that he comes to enjoy living here as much as I'm enjoying having him.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-27-2018), kendrafitz (11-29-2018), Lady (12-12-2018)

Parrots

Haha we are not allowed any body imperfections, getting scabs to heal around here is a nightmare
    Apart from that he brings a lot of joy into our lives, looking forward to your photos, its easier for me on this forum than others I'm on.

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-27-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully, he’ll settle in quickly. Talking to him and giving him little treats will go a long way to him bonding to you.

So excited! Yesterday i let him out of the cage, he climbed all over me, investigated my hair, ears etc. 😂

He seems to really enjoy being around me. It was awesome. Going to have another go at having him out today.

Out of all the toys he has, a cardboard roll from paper towel is his favourite 😂

13. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-29-2018), Dragonlady2 (11-29-2018), kendrafitz (11-29-2018), Lady (12-12-2018), plax (12-03-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

That’s usually the case....my birds love dollar store items. Wonderful news that he is coming out and exploring you. That’s progress!

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-29-2018), plax (12-03-2018)

Parrots

Cardboard tubes are super texture for shredding. Casper also loves a parrot cave upturned cardboard box with a doorway cut in one side so he can get in and out. He spends many happy hours inside chomping away at the card making a back door and decorating it to his own plan. He has a couple of pine cones and other toys in there. Spends a lot of time giggling and muttering.
    His most favourite toy is an empty plastic water bottle which he throws around the floor and chases.
    Expensive toys just get ignored - just like kids.

17. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-29-2018), kendrafitz (11-29-2018), Lady (12-12-2018), plax (12-03-2018)