User Tag List

Thread: Getting Sunlight

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Getting Sunlight

Gracie has started getting rippled edges on some of her feathers, and we've been told it's because she needs more exposure to the sun.

So, what's the best way to get your bird out in the sun when it's cold out? Is just sitting her in front of a window for an hour or two okay? Thanks for any suggestions!

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Through glass they don't get the vitamin D that a lack of (I think) causes the ripples. Because Casper doesn't fly off we can take him outside on a shoulder on a still and sunny day. Ten minutes is all they need. As I understand it they are fine with the cold for short periods as long as it is not windy which presumably gets the cold under their feathers.
    We sprinkle a pinch of a vitamin supplement on Casper's favourite food which seems to be working, he no longer complains when he stretches his wings. It comes in powder form and is called Avipro Avian, only available through vets (in the UK).
    Tried the full-spectrum light bulb route but they seem to be full of snake oil.
    Casper has just been outside but there is a bit of breeze so he was very happy to come back in almost straight away all fluffed up. He is now helping load the dishwasher making happy parrot noises.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 11-18-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-18-2018), kendrafitz (11-21-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Try looking for a supplement. Your vet may be able to help with this as well. Another reason for feathers looking a little ratty is that some birds overpreen. My conure has the rattiest tail due to dragging his tail across the bars as he climbs all over the cage.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-18-2018), kendrafitz (11-21-2018)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I try to open our sliding glass door on days when it’s not too cold. I have the screen shut and will stand or sit with Rosie wherever there is a beam of sun. Not great, but better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-22-2018), Dragonlady2 (11-22-2018), rivx (11-25-2018)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda
    That's a good idea!! All my doors have a drop, so taking her outside with her cage would be difficult. I'll set her up in front of the open sliding doors.

I'm not sure what to look for in a supplement or how often to give them, so on. Any suggestions?? Her feathers aren't ratty, just rippled. She doesn't seem bothered by it but I'd like to solve it quickly anyway.

9. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-25-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    The supplement we use is a general avian vitamin powder. We just put a pinch on a slice of banana each day because it is guaranteed that Casper is going to eat that
    Casper loves going to stay with our friends when we have our annual holiday. Their house has an opening glass wall at the back which can be folded back in sections depending on how nice it is outside. We get to spend a couple of days on their yacht in France so it is win/win for us
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

11. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (11-25-2018)