User Tag List

Thread: Getting a bird: Green-cheeked Conure or Budgie?

Getting a bird: Green-cheeked Conure or Budgie?

Hello everyone!

I would love to get a pet bird but want to make sure that I can give them the best life and that they are the right fit for me. I haven't owned a bird before, but my roommate this summer had a GCC, so I have some experience living with a feathered friend. Right now I can spend part of each day working from home, but at times I'll have to do the normal 9-5 hours and I know I'll be away for work for two weeks in the summer. I can spend 1-2 hours each work day with them and then be around them all weekend. I know birds need a lot of social time, so that's my main worry when getting a birdie. My husband is also worried about how they'll effect the monthly budget, so knowing how much I should expect per month on toys and food would be helpful.

I want a bird that is social, friendly, hopefully wants to cuddle, and can learn tricks. Talking ability would be pretty cool but isn't a must. From my research it seems that both budgies and GCC fit that well. My husband wants a bird that isn't loud all the time, which also seems to fit these species?

I also have two cats and a snake. I plan to take the same precautions with my feathered friend that I take with my scaly one, and keep them safely behind a door while I'm not home. I also plan to slowly accustom the cats and bird to each other hopefully, so that the cats being in the room won't be too stressful for the bird (which would be in its cage during this). Ideally I'd like to have the bird on my shoulder around the house with the cats ignoring it. I wouldn't leave them alone together. I'm considering having a radio on a timer so that when I'm gone the bird gets to hear music and people?

I have a couple of friends/coworkers who have cockatiels and have given me excellent advice, but I'd love some advice from people owning GCC and budgies. Thank you!

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-06-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum. Thank you for doing your research first.

Just curious....why do you want to get a bird?

For starters, parrots do require more attention than say a snake or a cat. Not all birds are cuddly. What will you do if the bird you bring home turns out to not meet your expectations regarding being cuddly?
    From my experience, vet care is twice as much for an avian vet for my parrots than vet care for my dog or cats.
    At Precisely Parrots, we do not support interaction between prey animals (birds) and predator animals ( cats). I have cats and a dog, but they are never in the same room as my parrots. There are closed doors that separate them.

These are just some points for you to think about. I think budgies are awesome little birds that in busy households seem to do better in pairs. GCC’s are great as companion birds.

Please feel free to ask more questions as you go through the process.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-06-2018), Lady (11-16-2018), PlaxMacaws (11-06-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    It would be awesome if you can make a home for a rescue bird. Check out the local vets and animal welfare societies.
    Are your cats sedate and lazy or do they take out wild birds on the wing? If they are the sort that bring home live critters to play with in the home then it would be reckless to have a pet bird.
    I trust you will make a responsible decision and look forward to hearing how you get on.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (11-16-2018), PlaxMacaws (11-06-2018)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    All good advice. Concerning bringing a bird into your home and allowing it to live around your cats, and eventually to frequent barrier-free room space with them, there's something further you should consider. Be aware that even if your cats are seemingly disinterested in prey animals, all it would take for a catastrophe to ensue would be your bird becoming startled and thus launching into a panic flight toward one of them. Any cat that becomes surprised by a missile fast approaching its face or body is likely going to lash out with its paws/claws in self-defense. One scratch from a feline claw can infect a bird with pasteurella multocida bacteria (which all cats carry on their claws and other body surfaces) and that may well condemn the bird to a painful and rapid death. It's just not worth the risk. No one can react quickly enough to prevent such an accident. Sustained physical isolation of prey species from predator species is the only assurance against that possible fate.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-06-2018), Dragonlady2 (11-06-2018), Lady (11-16-2018)