User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new guy on the block

Parrots

Sun Conure

Farlie update for 11/3/18

OK, it's Saturday and the vet said there is a little improvement from the last visit but not much. I suggested X-Rays to 'look inside' the little guy. Vet said his digestive track looks fine but his respiratory track is still clogged so the vet changed the medication to, Doxycycline, 10mgs twice a day. This stuff knocks him out, poor guy and he doesn't like it either.
    I'm glad he didn't eat anything bad like all the colored stuff wrapped around a bread wire-tie or the cotton strings from the frayed perches.
    We'll have to wait another week or so till we see the vet again.
    Last edited by Farlie; 11-03-2018 at 04:24 PM.

2. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (11-04-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully this medication will work for him.

4. The following user likes this post:

Farlie (11-04-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    We are all sending positive vibes and hoping he recovers soon. Has he still got his appetite or are you having to feed him with a syringe?
    It is always a relief when we hear that it is not our fault they are poorly, we have so much to learn about their care and welfare.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 11-03-2018 at 06:50 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-04-2018), Farlie (11-04-2018)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farlie View Post
    I'm glad he didn't eat anything bad like all the colored stuff wrapped around a bread wire-tie...
    Please be warned that the bread wrapper twist-ties with a metallic core contain lead. I wouldn't use them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Farlie View Post
    We'll have to wait another week or so till we see the vet again.
    Hopefully his condition will have improved by then. I too am curious as to whether he has been eating enough on his own, or whether you are syringe feeding him?
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-04-2018), Dragonlady2 (11-04-2018)

Parrots

Sun Conure
    He was eating like a little piglet but these past two or three days he's lost that piggy appetite he had. (Lost 6g in 10 days. From 101 to 95) He is still eating on his own tho, thankfully.
    Today was the first day he didn't want any spray millet. I would offer him a small 'knob' of it thru the bars and he would come running but today he just walked away. So, I'm keeping my eye on his eating habits now too.
    I sure wish he'd get over this thing...

10. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-04-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Try feeding him some warm mashed sweet potato or oatmeal. He needs nourishment at times like this. He would also benefit from some hand feeding formula off a spoon. Even sunflower seeds is better than him eating nothing. He should go back to the vet asap if there is too much weight loss.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-04-2018), PlaxMacaws (11-06-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Well done for keeping a check on his weight, it is always a good sign of a birds wellbeing. Helena has some great ideas there, Casper loves oatmeal and sweet potato warmed through (and would probably eat them mixed given the chance). Anything to keep his appetite up.
    Once he is on the mend try him on a diet of fresh stuff and Harrison's High Potency fine or ultrafine whichever grade you think suitable.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-04-2018), PlaxMacaws (11-06-2018)