User Tag List

Thread: Soya Milk?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.

Soya Milk?

I was having my breakfast cereal the other day when Casper decided to help himself. I let him have a couple of sips of the soya milk knowing that it is not dairy but I stopped him from making a pig of himself because I wasn't sure if he is supposed to be drinking it. He very rarely drinks, getting sufficient moisture it seems from his fruit and veg, but he seemed to enjoy the soya milk. So, I am wondering if we can replace his water bowl with it now and then?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    I was having my breakfast cereal the other day when Casper decided to help himself. I let him have a couple of sips of the soya milk knowing that it is not dairy but I stopped him from making a pig of himself because I wasn't sure if he is supposed to be drinking it. He very rarely drinks, getting sufficient moisture it seems from his fruit and veg, but he seemed to enjoy the soya milk. So, I am wondering if we can replace his water bowl with it now and then?
    I wouldn't, Jean-Pierre. Soy contains plant estrogen compounds called phytoestrogens that are said to be endcrine disruptors. Here's a link to an NIH article on the substance: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074428/

Also be mindful that soy is a crop widely produced from Monsanto's 'Roundup Ready' soybeans. They are genetically modified to resist the herbicide Roundup (the weedkiller containing the chemical glyphosate) that's been in the news of late and is believed to be responsible for a multitude of serious illnesses (including cancers such as non-Hodgkins lymphoma). Monsanto modifies the DNA in 'Roundup Ready' seeds in order to render the plants produced by them immune to the Roundup weedkiller. My understanding is that the only European country within which it's illegal to use agricultural compounds containing glyphosate is Italy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181012_192704.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	5241Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181012_192811.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	5242
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-13-2018), Lady (10-24-2018)

Parrots

The pack has a ProTerra certified Non-gmo soya logo. I have emailed the manufacturer (Alpro) and asked the question whether their soya crop is treated with glyphosate. This could be interesting as the product packaging is all about how good it is for us and the planet

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-13-2018), Lady (10-24-2018), PlaxMacaws (10-13-2018)

Parrots

The pack has a ProTerra certified Non-gmo soya logo. I have emailed the manufacturer (Alpro) and asked the question whether their soya crop is treated with glyphosate. This could be interesting as the product packaging is all about how good it is for us and the planet
    Indeed! Please let us know how they reply.

Parrots

I've received a reply from Alpro:
    Please rest assured there are no herbicides or chemical sprays used on the ingredients in any of our Alpro plant-based products, this is something that our procurement team have very strict rules on.
    So... just the endocrine disruptors to worry about.
    In the words of Joe Jackson, "Everything gives you cancer"

8. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (10-16-2018)

Parrots

I've received a reply from Alpro:
    Please rest assured there are no herbicides or chemical sprays used on the ingredients in any of our Alpro plant-based products, this is something that our procurement team have very strict rules on.
    Ah, very glad to hear it

So... just the endocrine disruptors to worry about.
    It's truly disturbing to discover that something a finicky bird enjoys may pose a health risk for it. As far as the presence of glyphosate in nearly all grains and what I feed my guys, the best I've been able to do on pellets has been to entirely eliminate Zupreem from their diet and instead stick with Harrison's all around. While that step doesn't provide a totally glyphosate-free solution, the organic ingredients in Harrison's should at least dramatically reduce the levels of the stuff that they ingest on a daily basis. Glyphosate is simply too ubiquitous these days to fully avoid... and that's for people OR for pets! But I will continue to respect the dangers involved. My brother-in-law developed non-Hodgkin's lymphoma from regularly spraying Roundup around his property. It's not something that should be taken lightly

In the words of Joe Jackson, "Everything gives you cancer"
    That point seems fairly accurate to me

10. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-16-2018)

Parrots

While we are on about birds liking stuff that is not good for them there was this post on the BBC news website the other day https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45751886
    love the response from the police department

Parrots

While we are on about birds liking stuff that is not good for them there was this post on the BBC news website the other day https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45751886
    love the response from the police department
    Wow, that's interesting. It's amazing how much it evidently impairs their perception. It could very well be a factor in some of the window crashes and vehicle smashes they experience.