User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Candles and Etc

Candles and Etc

Hello, I'm going to make this short and sweet- Are candles safe? Also I'm guessing perfume is a no..?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Scented candles, aerosol sprays, perfume.....pretty much anything that has a smell is probably a no no to be on the safe side. Cleaning supplies as well. I recall a woman who lost two of her birds when she used a cleanser in the bathroom. Vinegar will become your best friend as long as it is not heated...apparently some birds have died due to heating vinegar on the stove. There are some cage cleaners that are unsafe for the birds. And of course, teflon, which can be found in other things besides pots and pans....self-cleaning ovens, heaters. Others will be along to add to the list
    Good question.

3. The following user likes this post:

MacawMomma (11-13-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    We regularly use unscented candles and tea lights in our inglenook. We do have a seven stage air purifier in the room but I think that any fumes get sucked up the chimney by the log fire.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-09-2017)

Ok, thanks. The downstairs living room is actually the most busy place in my house, so if I used normal cleaners upstairs, but not downstairs, where the bird will be, would that still not be safe? When you said air purifier, does that decrease the chance of fumes? I really do not want to rescue a bird and be responsible for its death a week later

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I use some cleaners upstairs myself. However, I am able to close the door to the birdroom so the fumes can't enter. Definitely an air purifier with a hepa filter would help. You can't guarantee a sterile environment...you just need to pay attention a little more carefully. When in doubt, maybe you could have a bedroom that you can move the bird to, in a carrier, for a short period time.

Parrots

F10 is perfectly safe for birds, you can get a trigger bottle full and then top it up with diluted concentrate which is cheaper than to keep buying it in the trigger bottles.

9. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-10-2017)

Thanks! I definitely will invest in an air purifier! I think the place that I'm going to put the bird when I'm not home will be okay.

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-10-2017)

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Scented candles, aerosol sprays, perfume.....pretty much anything that has a smell is probably a no no to be on the safe side. Cleaning supplies as well. I recall a woman who lost two of her birds when she used a cleanser in the bathroom. Vinegar will become your best friend as long as it is not heated...apparently some birds have died due to heating vinegar on the stove. There are some cage cleaners that are unsafe for the birds. And of course, teflon, which can be found in other things besides pots and pans....self-cleaning ovens, heaters. Others will be along to add to the list
    Good question.
    I agree with vinegar and water as a great bird safe cleaner!!!

I’ve stayed away from candles and plug ins, if I want to get some pretty odor in my house I’ll boil some cinnamon in a pot of water (can even add some sliced oranges) and it works so well!

I’m unsure on perfume use, if I use some it’s when I’m leaving the house on a night out So I’m not around my birds, which is a good thing because my Katie preens and licks me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-13-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-14-2017)

Parrots

Margaret forgot herself and sprayed some perfume on when we were driving down to Devon with Casper being rear gunner in the back of the car. I immediately opened all the windows which cooled us all down quite quickly.
    Whenever we approach a junction the cry goes out - Hold tight Casper so he knows to hang on. He must have been getting bored after the second hit of two hours on the road because as we neared Barnstaple I looked in the rear mirror and he was hanging upside down from the roof of the travel cage.

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-14-2017), Lady (11-15-2017), MacawMomma (11-13-2017)

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Margaret forgot herself and sprayed some perfume on when we were driving down to Devon with Casper being rear gunner in the back of the car. I immediately opened all the windows which cooled us all down quite quickly.
    Whenever we approach a junction the cry goes out - Hold tight Casper so he knows to hang on. He must have been getting bored after the second hit of two hours on the road because as we neared Barnstaple I looked in the rear mirror and he was hanging upside down from the roof of the travel cage.
    Haha!! I can just picture Casper doing that!!!

At least you get some entertainment while on the road!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our rescue birds~

23 yr old Katie - Catalina Macaw
    34 yr old Max- GW Macaw
    1 yr old Nibbles- GC Conure
    ADOPT DON’T SHOP

17. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-14-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-14-2017)