User Tag List

Thread: Mourning Dove??

Mourning Dove??

I have found a Mourning Dove entangled in a net and I put him in a cage. I’m planning to let him go in the morning. All I’ve got is cockatiel food (my cockatiels) and he wont eat that. I’ve tried corn, bread, and sunflower seeds, but he won’t eat. Any help on how to feed him?

Nevermind, ive let him go and I think he is fine

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Glad to hear you think he's fine. I was going to say if you are only keeping him overnight he should be okay if he doesn't eat but at least have access to fresh water.

Actually he doesnt want to go, he hopped back in the cage because he was scared and he will stay overnight. I think the cage is ideal for an overnight rest (four feet cage with natural sticks, perches, and chew toys) and I will release him around 7:00 am by my backyard.

He might be a bit confused at the moment because I found him in my garden net (not sure how it got in) and all the other doves got out. He was exhausted from trying to get out so I picked him up and put him in the cockatiel cage because my cockatiels have refused to enter the cage and prefer the top area for food, water, and toys.

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-12-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hope he is okay. I'm sure if he gets some rest tonight he will feel better in the a.m.

Here is a quick link about Mourning Doves: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...ve/lifehistory

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-12-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    So how is the dove this morning?

I’ve let him go 7:00 am. At first he was nervous but when he saw a pine tree, he perked up and flew on a branch.

11. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-12-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I'm glad he is off to find his friends.
    We have lots of collared doves in our area, we have nicknamed them traffic control doves because they tend to wander about in the lanes as you approach in the car so you have to slow down and wait for them to decide in which direction they are going to saunter off. The farmworkers are not so considerate to them, I was following a huge tractor and trailer which was only a couple of feet narrower than the hedges on either side of the road. Suddenly a dove shot up vertically about twenty feet in the gap between the trailer and the hedge. Amazing the amount of lift they can get from their wings.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom