We have a 5-year old Queen of Bavaria (Golden) Conure named Milo, who we got from a breeder just after he had been weaned. A DNA-sexed male, my wife has been his favorite since the day we brought him home.

When he was younger he was friendly to everyone. For his first two years we had a Labradoodle who he seemed to enjoy however, the dog passed away. He also used to sit on our housekeeper's shoulder as she vacuumed. About 1-1/2 years ago we brought home and finished hand weaning a White Bellied Caique and the two became fast friends. However since our dog passed away, the Golden has become very territorial. He still loved my wife and he was good with me, but he began to dislike ever other human.

When Milo was about three, we noticed that his lower beak would grow out malformed. It required us taking him to our awesome avian vet, Dr. Joel Murphy, who would anesthetize Milo so he wouldn't get stressed as Dr. Murphy used a Dremel tool to re-shape Milo's beak. We would need to have this done about every six weeks and at $150.00 a pop, got a bit pricey.

Recently we met a young man who trimmed wings and nails and actually was able to lightly shape Milo's beak without issue. When it came time to have Milo's beak done again this past Monday, we had the man come to the house to again shape Milo's beak.

While I wasn't home, my wife assisted the groomer. This did not go well at all, which brings me to my question.

Since Monday, Milo has been extremely vicious to my wife, biting her on the face and hands, getting down on the floor and going after her feet. While my wife is strong-willed, this will become a major problem if Milo's aggressive behavior toward her doesn't stop.

We called Dr. Murphy, who said that bird's have VERY long memories (Milo doesn't apparently remember all the love and attention my wife gave him for the first 5 years). He suggested just having her slowly give him his favorite treats in the hopes that eventually he will earn back her trust.

We are fearful however, that if Milo DOESN'T correct his behavior, we would have to consider re-homing him, which is just making us sick thinking about the prospect of that.

Looking for any suggestions please!