User Tag List

Thread: Cockatiels- Male or Female?

Cockatiels- Male or Female?

Hello there! I have been looking into getting a baby cockatiels and found a breeder near me that hand raises babies, and will have some ready early December. I’m still stuck on we’re or not I should buy a male or female. What is everyone’s opinions?

Also, cage-less birds- yay or nay? And why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! One thing I have heard about cockatiels is that the female can potentially lay eggs excessively, which can effect her health. You may be better with a male, especially if this is your first bird.
    Unless you can guarantee the safety of your bird, I would have a cage. You can always let it out for whatever time you wish. I look at the cage as their safe place. If the cage is set up correctly, it also teaches the bird to entertain itself which results in less screaming for your attention.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (09-26-2018), oliviaellingford (09-20-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! One thing I have heard about cockatiels is that the female can potentially lay eggs excessively, which can effect her health. You may be better with a male, especially if this is your first bird.
    Unless you can guarantee the safety of your bird, I would have a cage. You can always let it out for whatever time you wish. I look at the cage as their safe place. If the cage is set up correctly, it also teaches the bird to entertain itself which results in less screaming for your attention.
    I’ve hear males bite more often and are less affectionate. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I don’t know the answer to that question. I suppose there are calm males and bratty males...your training of him will make a difference.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (09-26-2018), oliviaellingford (09-20-2018)