User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sudden Death of my Lovebird

Parrots

Lovebird
    Thank you. Yes, I miss him so much. He was a sweetheart, very timid. He was so beautiful too. He was a brilliant yellow with a blue tail and orange on his face and head. I used to greet him when I came home from work with " Hey gorgeous boy". I love him so much. I've had many other losses before him and it still hurts the same. It's been a difficult year too. My boyfriend and his sister both passed away in the last couple months. I just hope there is no more loss. This year has been unbearable. My lovebird's name was the same as my online name, Fe. Or Fe Bee as I used to call him. Sky is my remaining lovebird. Still searching for a companion for him. Not having much luck.

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-17-2018), Dragonlady2 (09-17-2018)

Parrots

Lovebird
    I may have found a companion for my lovebird. It may be a female. I was wondering that if they would have babies if the babies could live in the same cage as the parents. Or could there be an issue with the male bird and the young chicks?

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-19-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    That’s a very good question. Can I ask why you would want them to have babies? I am not a breeder so I have little information regarding this. Do you know how to handfeed if the babies needed to be taken from the parents?
    I personally don’t think you should have more than 1 pair to a cage. Lots to think about.

6. The following user likes this post:

Lady (09-26-2018)

Parrots

Lovebird
    I don't want them to have babies, but it may happen and I am wondering if they could all live together in the same cage. I've seen pictures of many lovebirds living in the same cage together so it looks like it is possible. I just wasn't sure about babies in with parents.

Parrots

Lovebird
    I have handfed before, but really don't want to do that again. I wouldn't even be able to due to my work schedule.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I have no experience but perhaps if there is no nesting facility in the cage, just perches, then they will not have the right environment to consider raising a family?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-21-2018), Lady (09-26-2018)

Parrots

Lovebird
    Yes, that's true. I'll try to keep anything that resembles a nest out of the cage. I can't remember if I ask this before. Are there any indications that a lovebird has died from old age? Thinking about my Fe tonight especially. It was two weeks ago tonight that I lost him. I noticed that he had been sleeping more and in the past months there were times when he wasn't looking good, but then perked back up. His appetite seemed good. He was even eating an hour or so before he passed away. He came out of the cage to eat at a dish I hang on the side of the cage near a perch. He just stepped out that night from his tent onto the perch and fell to the floor. When I put him back in this tent he came back out and fell to the floor again and screamed and died. He was 15 years, 3 months and 9 days old. I noticed when he died though that his breastbone felt sharp and that's a sign that he was underweight. He ate well though. I wish I could have some peace about this. I am still blaming myself for doing or not doing something that caused his death.

Parrots

It is a survival instinct for birds to not show any weakness, they will pretend they are fit and healthy for as long as they are able. Which is why you should get your bird to a vet as soon as you can if they are not 'normal'. Old age is difficult to tell if you have not known a bird long and can also be hard to recognise if you see the bird every day because the change is so gradual. Not seeing a bird for a few months is probably the only way to tell. Just like elderly humans birds will sit around more, fluff up to keep warm and have a kip in the afternoon. Their beaks get scruffier with age as well.
    We have asked several experts how long we can expect Casper to live and have never had the same answer twice. We just love him and give him as much affection as we can every day knowing that some day we will miss him horribly but also worrying about what will happen if he outlives us
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 09-22-2018 at 09:10 AM.

13. The following user likes this post:

Lady (09-26-2018)

Parrots

Lovebird
    Thank you. I guess I should have taken him to the vet.

Parrots

Maybe not, it probably wouldn't have made any difference and may have caused him more stress. Have you made any progress finding a new companion?

16. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (09-25-2018)