User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glyphosate - how safe is our bird food?

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)

Glyphosate - how safe is our bird food?

As some of you may know, the herbicide, glyphosate, has been in the news of late. Most notably for the wave of lawsuits against Monsanto Corporation stemming from a clear link between glyphosate and the development of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in folks exposed to their 'Roundup' herbicide product. Monsanto was reportedly aware of the studies which revealed said link to cases of lymphoma, yet they warned no one as they continued to market the weed killing, glyphosate-based product. It was recently announced that the first case challenging Monsanto (a subsidiary of Bayer Corporation) on the Roundup/glyphosate lymphoma matter rendered an award of $289.2 million to a man who had contracted non-Hodgkin lymphoma after using Roundup for 2.5 years at his job as a groundskeeper.

Glyphosate is also widely used by grain/produce farmers in the United States and Canada. In farming, it mainly serves as a desiccant (drying agent) for food crops. One big concern is that glyphosate is so widely used (due to lenient government regulation) that its presence is not limited to the crops upon which it has been directly applied; its residue has been identifed on certified organic produce items as well. The reason for this is largely due to cross-contamination from glyphosate's widespread usage in our environment. When sprayed, it can easily drift or find its way into rain or irrigation water sources. It may also cross-contaminate certified organic foods processed at plants that prepare both organic and non-organic food items. The prevalence of glyphosate in our foods is a serious problem, especially within the United States. Glyphosate is banned in many European counties due to the health risks it poses. As far as cross-contamination involving organic products, our EPA's answer thus far has been to simply raise the permitted levels of glyphosate within certified organic foods. That is far from a responsible measure in my view.

You may be aware that grains are a main ingredient in many bird foods (pelleted or otherwise). Disturbingly, that high grain content lends itself to a persistent dissemination of glyphosate among our feathered companions. Without specific testing in place, there seems no effective way to determine present levels of glyphosate in the commercially produced bird foods that we may be feeding our companions or in the overall diets we have adopted for them. I find the entire matter most alarming and I very much wish I were aware of a solution.

Please review the links below:

ALERT: Certified Organic Food Grown in U.S. Found Contaminated with Glyphosate Herbicide

Roundup’s $289M cancer verdict opens up floodgates for thousands of other lawsuits
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-28-2018), Lady (08-28-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    It just seems as if nothing is safe anymore and this is getting to be more of a political argument based on economic views. There appears to be a push-pull...what is good for the environment and communities health wise as opposed to what is good for business, which provides opportunities for communities. jmo
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 08-28-2018 at 01:10 PM.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (08-28-2018), PlaxMacaws (08-28-2018)

Parrots

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-28-2018), Lady (08-28-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    And this is just one of the many battles we have here. It's a very difficult time to be living in.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-28-2018), PlaxMacaws (08-28-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Mid terms coming... vote early, vote often.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-29-2018), PlaxMacaws (08-29-2018)

Parrots

AVOID! These Foods with Monsanto’s Glyphosate and MUST SEE Monsanto Curruption Video

Two additional page links and a video that you should really see. This stuff is in everything! Please have a look at the list of things to avoid. While organics have a better chance of containing lower glyphosate levels, it is still present to some degree in most (if not ALL) of them. The ubiquitous presence of glyphosate in our food products make it virtually impossible to avoid exposing our birds (as well as ourselves) to this substance on a daily basis. Please have a look at the incredibly informative video below.

AVOID! These Foods with Monsanto’s Glyphosate

MUST SEE Overview of Monsanto Corruption and the Glyphosate Scandal - webpage

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Glyphosate is banned in many European counties due to the health risks it poses.
    For the sake of accuracy
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42135437
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Jean-Pierre: for the sake of accuracy, please view the provided video in its entirety. The scientists who said that glyphosate is safe to use did not author the opinions they signed. Instead, the opinions were written by Monsanto employees and Monsanto executives in fact discussed which outside scientists they would enlist to sign said opinions. Internal memos from the Monsanto executives containing those exchanges are publicly available and were entered into discovery during the multi-million $ lawsuit that recently concluded. Please watch the video.

Thank you for correcting the record as far as the ban status . My understanding is that for the time being glyphosate is banned in Italy.

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I guess it is like everything else these days. You have to pick the best of the worst. Almost everything we eat is contaminated or poisoned with something; very hard to get away from it.

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-31-2018), Lady (09-02-2018), PlaxMacaws (08-31-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    I guess it is like everything else these days. You have to pick the best of the worst. Almost everything we eat is contaminated or poisoned with something; very hard to get away from it.
    That is quite true, unfortunately. But what makes the glyphosate situation extra bad is its unprecedented exponential pervasiveness. The more that crop farmers came to rely upon "Roundup Ready" seeds, the more the genetic states and the bio balances of organisms in their soil became irreversibly changed/harmed. This meant that the only business option available to the farmers was a reliance upon additional GMO/pesticide-herbicide solutions - in other words, a perpetual reliance upon Monsanto products. As such, the use of glyphosate-based frankenseeds and crop treatments exploded! That's why glyphosate is currently in nearly every food item that we purchase.

17. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-31-2018), Lady (09-02-2018)