User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Everyone

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Hello Everyone

It’s Kendra and Rosie! We’ve been MIA and I apologize. I’ve been checking in here and there but haven’t really posted. I have a couple weeks where things are slowing down a bit so I wanted to check in. (I thought things we be less crazy with teens - boy was I wrong. Life is even more hectic than ever. )

Rosie is doing well. I decided not to bring her for another opinion (yet) bc I didn’t want to stress her out. Which I fear could bring the disease to the forefront. Between hormones and stress I feel it is just too much.

We switched her food to pellets i/o the mix she was getting. That is on her main java tree, where she eats breakfast. She doesn’t love them but since it’s supplemented with nuts and treats on her other stands she seems happy. She never ate much anyway so there doesn’t seem to be a huge difference.

She is hopefully just finishing a heavy molt and the new feathers look good. Since she doesn’t like to go outside I have been sitting with her in the sun in my kitchen. We open the door with the screen door closed, pull up our bungee chair and sit there for an hour or so a day. She loves it - especially after a shower. Plus she can check out what is going on out by the pool. Which is fine unless my daughter and her friends are out. Then she screams bc she thinks they are HER friends and wants them with her. You can imagine how much my teen daughter loves that! Sigh...

Everything else is going well. No symptoms have shown up. I can hear her breathing once in a while when we snuggle. But just breathing, not congestion or struggling to breathe.

So life has been good and very busy at the Fitz Farm. How is everyone here doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-14-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-14-2018), Lady (07-15-2018), PlaxMacaws (07-14-2018)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Thanks for the report, Kendra. I'm so glad to hear Rosie is doing well. The ABV, if in fact present, might remain dormant allowing a relatively normal life for her. As you know, I'm a firm believer that stress from vet visits can be greater and thus more dangerous for certain birds than for others. As I see it, it's up to us as the guardians for our guys to factor that variable in to our decisions concerning if and when a vet visit may be the best option. Zaf and I are in the same boat with you and Rosie. Vet visits are incredibly stressful for him. I'm always concerned about triggering a heart attack or stroke since he becomes so upset by the clinical atmosphere, the people and the procedures. Judgment is key!

Please keep us posted on any developments.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-14-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-14-2018), kendrafitz (07-15-2018), Lady (07-15-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I am with Tony...thanks for the update. So happy to hear that Rosie is doing fine. Hope you can stay around and let us know how things are going. Although Rosie isn't ours, I am guessing her wellbeing is as important to all of us as our own birds.

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-14-2018), kendrafitz (07-15-2018), Lady (07-15-2018), PlaxMacaws (07-14-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hi Kendra, we missed you
    Glad to hear Rosie is doing fine. We are having a great summer here and Casper has spent a lot of time out in the garden and at the boat.
    Unlike Rosie and Zaf, Casper gets a real kick out of a visit to the vets. He always makes sure he is the centre of attention in the waiting room, especially if there are children there.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-14-2018), kendrafitz (07-15-2018), Lady (07-15-2018), PlaxMacaws (07-15-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Kendra, happy to hear you and Rosie are doing well. I hope you both are enjoying your summer.

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-15-2018), kendrafitz (07-15-2018), Lady (07-15-2018), PlaxMacaws (07-15-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    So very glad you checked in, you both have been in our thoughts. Take one day at a time and enjoy each moment as it comes. Your a wonderful Mom and will know what to do and when to do it.
    How are those foster chicks of yours? I know they're not chicks any more but I hope you still keep in contact with their family.

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-15-2018), kendrafitz (07-16-2018), PlaxMacaws (07-15-2018)

Parrots

Thanks everyone!!!

Rosie & Kendra

14. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (07-16-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post

How are those foster chicks of yours? I know they're not chicks any more but I hope you still keep in contact with their family.
    Yes, I am still in contact with the family, they are close friends. Snookie got sick this spring. I brought her to the vet but they couldn’t figure out what was wrong. They thought it could be a vitamin deficiency but nothing we did helped. She passed the beginning of the summer.

My family was away July 4th week and got some upsetting news on our way home. There was a raccoon attack and Peanut and Ellie have joined Snookie. So just Sammi has made it to her first birthday. It has been heartbreaking for us. They went from 13 chickens to 5. It is so quiet in their run now.

Sammi seems to be doing well though. They may be getting more but I am not fostering anymore. It annoys Jef and honestly I can’t get attached again. Maybe one day we will have a few hens (I love them) but I need to be in control of their living quarters, etc.

Thank you for asking.

Rosie & Kendra

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-26-2018), Lady (07-25-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I'm so very sorry for the loss of these sweet little guys. I know it was devastating to you as it was quite evident how much you loved and nurtured them as they grew. Glad to hear that maybe someday you would think of raising your own. I'm also glad Sammi is doing well.

18. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-26-2018)

Parrots

Glenn, Indian Ringneck; Sherman, White-capped Pionus; JoJo, Budgie; Tommy, Budgie; Sir Lancelot, Yellow-side Greencheek; Daytona, Sun Conure
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    I'm so very sorry for the loss of these sweet little guys.
    I'm so sorry for your losses. I just didn't realize it all.

20. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (08-02-2018)