User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know how to make a Birdie Backpack?

Parrots

Glenn, Indian Ringneck; Sherman, White-capped Pionus; JoJo, Budgie; Tommy, Budgie; Sir Lancelot, Yellow-side Greencheek; Daytona, Sun Conure

Does anyone know how to make a Birdie Backpack?

Does anyone know how to make a Birdie Backpack for a Sun Conure and GCC that's not a transport cage with shoulder straps?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Good luck with that one. A backpack usually means shoulder straps. What is the goal? What I mean is...do you want to have hands free transport or do you want an alternative to the backpack?

3. The following user likes this post:

LesliesBabies (08-04-2018)

Parrots

Glenn, Indian Ringneck; Sherman, White-capped Pionus; JoJo, Budgie; Tommy, Budgie; Sir Lancelot, Yellow-side Greencheek; Daytona, Sun Conure

Backpack

It's not about the shoulder straps. Those are good. Most DIY backpacks are simply transport cages on straps. What I want to make has soft sides, mesh and, of course, shoulder straps. It'd be like a book bag with a perch and mesh the birds can look out of.

Parrots

Backpack

It's not about the shoulder straps. Those are good. Most DIY backpacks are simply transport cages on straps. What I want to make has soft sides, mesh and, of course, shoulder straps. It'd be like a book bag with a perch and mesh the birds can look out of.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I think there is something called pak-o-bird that is similar. I’ll have to check it out not that Iam curious...lol

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    I think there is something called pak-o-bird that is similar. I’ll have to check it out not that Iam curious...lol
    It sounds like a commercial alternative. Maybe commercial is my only choice. I'll look it up, too.

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-04-2018)

Parrots

OMG The ones on celltei.com were US$275 and up! That's more than their cage would have been and the sale price of the WCP cage!

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-04-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

The pet industry is very lucrative...people love their pets and will spend money on them. I have been known to spend a buck or two myself. Now that you see how they look, you might be able to come up with a homemade version.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    We bought one for Casper and when you look at the construction a lot of time and effort has gone into making it. Hence the cost. Casper is putting an equal amount of time and effort into reducing it to its component parts again.
    The problems with the back pack are:
    Margaret has a very bouncy walk so Casper tends to get thrown about a bit. She also forgets that he is there when she bends over to pick something up so he gets up-ended.
    Casper is meanwhile ripping the interior to shreds - it is made mainly of cardboard covered in vinyl.
    And peeling back the metal of the eyelets.
    He also loves to destroy zips, especially nylon ones. As the zips are long and complicated we daren't leave him near it when they are open or he will be biting the teeth of the zip so that it won't open or close.
    And he drags his tail through his poop because there isn't a lot of room in there.
    There are food and water cups in there - you can guess what happens if they are filled

If you are going to make your own I suggest a graphene/titanium sandwich and bullet-proof glass for the viewing areas. Maybe bolted onto a steadycam frame.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-04-2018), kendrafitz (08-07-2018), Quakerella (08-08-2018)

Parrots

I was trying to outsmart that "very lucrative" "pet industry." I've supported it for years.
    Thanks for telling me things not considered. No doubt the Sun would chew it up fast. I can just imagine bending over and sending Dakota flying. HAHA

Thanks for telling me issues not considered!

- - - Updated - - -

I was trying to outsmart that "very lucrative" "pet industry." I've supported it for years.
    Thanks for telling me things not considered. No doubt the Sun would chew it up fast. I can just imagine bending over and sending Dakota flying. HAHA

Thanks for telling me issues not considered!