User Tag List

Thread: My cockatiel won’t stop masturbating.

My cockatiel won’t stop masturbating.

My cockatiel Romeo literally will not stop masturbating on one of his perches. It’s not daily, but MULTIPLE times daily, and I’m worried that he’s becoming frustrated. I’ve tried adding hours of darkness into his sleep schedule, rather than going to bed at 9pm, i changed it to 7pm. But that doesn’t seem to be helping much at all. I also interfere every other time he does start to masturbate by getting him to step up on my finger.

I do have another cockatiel, but a male, so I ruled that out. I also take him out daily for long periods of time, so I know it can’t be out of bordem either.

Any insight or helpful tips would be extremely appreciated!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! Definitely limiting daylight hours will help. What does Romeo eat? Sometimes diet can trigger excessive hormonal behaviour...too much sugar, protein and mushy foods should be avoided.

3. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (08-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Definitely limiting daylight hours will help. What does Romeo eat? Sometimes diet can trigger excessive hormonal behaviour...too much sugar, protein and mushy foods should be avoided.
    Thank you! I primarily feed him a mix of Zupreem Fruit Blend with a nutritional Cockatiel pellet mix I get from my local pet store. The only thing mushy he ever gets would be bananas, and I haven’t fed him one in some time.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-30-2018), Quakerella (08-08-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I think cockatiels have a year round breeding season. My Eclectus does and he will engage in mating behaviour with his bells every now and then. How long has he been getting it on with his perch? You could try rearranging his cage daily so that he isn’t engaging in a “routine”. The other suggestion I have is getting him to forage more. If he has favourite treats you can wrap them up, put them in a covered cup, wrap them in a kale leaf etc. Does he eat any vegetables? Try carrot sticks, bits of pepper, etc

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (08-01-2018), Quakerella (08-08-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    You are correct about the year round breeding for cockatiels. If it is just one perch he is having fun with try moving that perch or removing it completely. It may not stop him, but it may deter him for a little while.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-09-2018), Lady (08-12-2018)