User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sherman's Big Adventure

Parrots

Glenn, Indian Ringneck; Sherman, White-capped Pionus; JoJo, Budgie; Tommy, Budgie; Sir Lancelot, Yellow-side Greencheek; Daytona, Sun Conure

Sherman's Big Adventure

Sherman climbed onto the outside of her cage last night. The door has been open for a month now. I'd been trying to coax her out with a piece of apple and she did it!

Sherman scooted down to the bottom of her cage, stepped on the door "sill," turned around and held on to the bars with her good foot.

We stayed up past bedtime tonight because Sherman almost did it, again. She got to the door, grabbed her bit of apple and this time an almond slice was there, too. She looked at me like, "Is this okay?" then stayed on the bottom of her cage to eat her treats before going back up!

I'm so proud of Sherman!

2. The following 6 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-24-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-24-2018), kendrafitz (07-25-2018), Lady (07-25-2018), PlaxMacaws (07-26-2018), Quakerella (07-28-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    It always feels great when there is a breakthrough with the fids!

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-24-2018), Lady (07-25-2018)

Parrots

Glenn, Indian Ringneck; Sherman, White-capped Pionus; JoJo, Budgie; Tommy, Budgie; Sir Lancelot, Yellow-side Greencheek; Daytona, Sun Conure
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    It always feels great when there is a breakthrough with the fids!
    "Firsts" for her are extra special. She's disabled. I think her newfound "freedom" is related to her much thinner perches. They've all but solved the "falling" problem.

I've learned new kinds of patience, service and love thanks to her!

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-24-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-24-2018), Lady (07-25-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Mmmm apple and almond, Casper's faves.

Excellent news on Sherman's new mobility. Does she fly at all? And well done you.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-24-2018), LesliesBabies (07-25-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Mmmm apple and almond, Casper's faves.

Excellent news on Sherman's new mobility. Does she fly at all? And well done you.
    I'm convinced that everyone and everybirdie LOVES apples and almonds!

No, she doesn't fly. One wing is smaller than the other. Exercise and weight control are major concerns for her.
    On one foot has only 3 toes and no nails.
    Like the AV said, at least she won't fly away and nail trims are easier. HAHA

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-25-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    If given the opportunity to have a choose from the mixed nut box Casper will of course pic the largest, usually walnut half, but in his ideal world he would live on a diet of only the honey coated almonds that come in our breakfast cereal. He also has foot and wing problems but nowhere near as bad as Sherman so he doesn't fly more than a few feet.
    He gets his exercise by chasing a plastic bottle around the floor. We also get him to hang on to a finger which we hold above our head and then swoop down to the floor whilst he flaps his wings. We have to say "one two three go" otherwise he just flops over backwards which I think is mainly for comedy effect.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 07-25-2018 at 09:26 AM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-25-2018), Lady (07-25-2018)

Parrots

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    If given the opportunity to have a choose from the mixed nut box Casper will of course pic the largest, usually walnut half, but in his ideal world he would live on a diet of only the honey coated almonds that come in our breakfast cereal. He also has foot and wing problems but nowhere near as bad as Sherman so he doesn't fly more than a few feet.
    He gets his exercise by chasing a plastic bottle around the floor. We also get him to hang on to a finger which we hold above our head and then swoop down to the floor whilst he flaps his wings. We have to say "one two three go" otherwise he just flops over backwards which I think is mainly for comedy effect.
    That's funny!

Sherman chews on her natural branches forgetting there are consequences. She'll chew thru and flip over or fall. She shakes it off like, "I meant to do that."

At least you don't have to worry about Casper escaping through an open door or window!

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-25-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-28-2018), Lady (07-25-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Love to see it when they do something new, very exciting. I am just weaning a baby blue quaker, from the first feather to the first step and now sitting on the top perch. Love to see them progress.

It is a fight at our house for the apples and the almonds. Birds love them, but I usually win.

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-28-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-28-2018), Lady (08-01-2018)

Parrots

Sherman would go to the door, grab her almond sliver and head back. A little later she'd scoot back down for the apple.

She tried for the second time to venture out but fell. (Thank God for carpet.) She couldn't get back up despite trying and trying, so I slowly scooted on the floor to help her. She bit me but not hard enough to draw blood. Obviously, she's trying!

I put a rope perch and a SMALL cup to entice her, but she doesn't seem to care. I may lower them as something to reach for to hold on. Also, I made a rope ladder that might be an option at the bottom, but I liked having her depend on me for help back up.

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-29-2018), Lady (08-01-2018)

Parrots

My Sherman update. ***PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT READ IF YOU DISLIKE USELESS BIRD STORIES!***
    Sherman now has a parrot ladder with two small cups on top: one has pellets and almond pieces, the other has water. She ventured onto it to grab an almond piece then stayed there to eat it. She wasn't interested in the water.
    Granted the ladder with cups is against the door, but that's not the point.
    Sherman is slowly venturing outside her cage more and more.

20. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-04-2018), Dragonlady2 (08-04-2018), kendrafitz (08-07-2018)