User Tag List

Thread: Revisiting the Old Question

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Revisiting the Old Question

So yesterday I was watching a YouTube video of a woman with about 20+ birds, a cat and a pig. She was doing an “educational” video on macaws and African greys.

While I found it somewhat entertaining I didn’t agree with one thing she stated. When she was talking about her African grey parrot, she said that greys are special bc they are the only parrot that speaks cognizantly. She went on to explain that greys are the only parrot that speak in context.

I disagree with this. My Rosie is not a great “talker”. But when she does she almost always speaks in context. I am 100% sure of this as she is usually making a demand and if I don’t comply I am met with annoyed screams.

For example she says “Up”, when she wants me to pick her up. “Hi” or “Hello” when someone comes in or the phone rings. “Apple” for anything she loves. “Apple” has also been I love you but she draws out the word. If I don’t say I love you she will draw it out verryyy slowly while looking at me like she is dealing with a dope. “Peek-a-Boo” and “Beep Beep” are also used in context with the expectation of me doing the correct action. Garbled “water” and “shower” are used when we are showering. She also started saying garbled “I love you” when we snuggle. Garbled “Good Girl” and “Good Boo Boo” is what she says to the dogs when I am petting them.

I have seen so many videos of parrots speaking in context. How can someone say only one type of parrot is intelligent enough to speak in context?

How about your parrots? Do they speak in context?

These incredible creatures are way more intelligent than they are given credit for. It made me sad that a bird person would believe and spread misinformation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kendrafitz; 07-14-2018 at 02:42 PM.
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-14-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-14-2018), Lady (07-15-2018), PlaxMacaws (07-14-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Absolutely disagree that African Greys are the only bird to speak in context. My Joey is so intuitive...if he hears Peewee, his brother, complaining, he will ask him "what happened?" and then tell him "it's okay". His vocalizes very clearly. He continually amazes me with his ability to understand situations and what to respond....and he is just a little fella.
    I agree that we don't know near enough about parrots and their abilities to generalize.

4. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-14-2018), kendrafitz (07-15-2018), Lady (07-15-2018), PlaxMacaws (07-14-2018), Quakerella (07-15-2018)

Parrots

Pickle- Green Cheek Conure, Wall-E- Black Capped Conure
    I definitely disagree with that statement! I have 2 conures. One is a green cheek and one is a black capped. The both say go poop when they have to poop. When one walks away or flies away they say what are you doing. The other day my black capped Wall-E flew into my room with out my green cheek Pickle and while she was on my shoulder they were making noises that were identical. When Pickle finally flew in there she landed on the pillow instead of near Wall-E. Wall-E said Pickle, Come here. They say things in context all the time. They do say their fraises out of context as well but they know what they mean and when to use them.

6. The following 6 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-14-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-14-2018), kendrafitz (07-15-2018), Lady (07-15-2018), PlaxMacaws (07-14-2018), Quakerella (07-15-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    They are smarter than us, we haven't figured out their language yet.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-14-2018), kendrafitz (07-15-2018), Lady (07-15-2018), PlaxMacaws (07-14-2018), Quakerella (07-15-2018)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Kendra: I agree with you and the others in this thread. Greys are certainly NOT the only parrots who will speak in context. My Salsa is contextually expressive on a consistent basis. One of my favorite references from him is the term he uses for drinking water... it's a big, raspy BURP! That's precisely how he refers to water when I deliver a fresh bowl of it to him. And I could give you so many other examples where he demonstrates appropriate and consistent vocal characterization of objects, actions, and situations. As far as the woman in the video you've described, I'm betting it's a case in which she heard someone's short-sighted theory and simply ran with it. Erroneous opinions are everywhere.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

10. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-15-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-14-2018), kendrafitz (07-15-2018), Lady (07-15-2018), Quakerella (07-15-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Yoshi our quaker also speaks in context. When I am changing the birds water dishes I don't need to say anything anymore Yoshi says "There ya go". If he sees me with the broom I always get the "you're messy".

I'm betting it's a case in which she heard someone's short-sighted theory and simply ran with it
    I agree with Tony on this. It sounds like she has heard this theory and instead of researching and investigating she continues to pass on false information.

12. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-15-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-15-2018), kendrafitz (07-15-2018), Lady (07-15-2018), PlaxMacaws (07-15-2018)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I’m glad I’m not the only one who disagrees.

What was interesting is she had 3 macaws in the same video. But I have a feeling you are correct that it is probably something she heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-15-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-15-2018), PlaxMacaws (07-15-2018)