User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with training bird

Help with training bird

Ive recently decided to try to bond with the cockatiel we've had for a few years. We haven't really taken care of him as well as we should have but now im determined to change that. Ive read online about if a bird bites you to not yell and to put them down and walk away. Ive tryed that but he just flys right back at me to bite again. How do i walk away if he wont let me? I really want to be a lot better with this bird.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-07-2018), Quakerella (07-08-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    How are you trying to train him? From his cage? Are you using any rewards to encourage him? You probably have to start from the beginning...giving treats through the bars, reading to him, talking to him etc. If he has been left on his own for a considerable amount of time, it isn't fair to now expect him to be tame or trained quickly. He needs to learn to trust you and that may take some time. You can try using a stick perch to get him used to stepping up. The good thing is that you are making the effort...it can only mean good things for you and the bird.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 07-08-2018 at 08:06 PM.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

cosmiczaz (07-07-2018), Lady (07-15-2018), Quakerella (07-08-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    How are you trying to train him? From his cage? Are you using any rewards to encourage him? You probably have to start from the beginning...giving treats through the bars, reading to him, talking to him etc. If he has been left on his own for a consderable amount of time, it isn't fair to now expect him to be tame or trained quickly. He needs to learn to trust you and that may take some time. You can try using a stick perch to get him used to stepping up. The good thing is that you are making the effort...it can only mean good things for you and the bird.
    I'll start with that. Thanl you! I decided to clean his cage out so he was out of the cage and on my shoulder but ill start talking to him through the cage a lot morr

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-07-2018), Quakerella (07-08-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Great advice from Helena. What is his name? When you have him out of the cage, make sure there will be no loud noises or other people around that can startle him. Patience is the key, and this will have to be done at the cockatiel's pace. Good for you for trying. If you keep at it I am sure he will come around. Please keep us updated.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

cosmiczaz (07-10-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-08-2018), Lady (07-15-2018)

Ive made progress in these three days! hes gone from hissing at me every time i walk by to actually asking me for head pets! Im very excited about this

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-10-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-09-2018), Lady (07-15-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.

12. The following user likes this post:

cosmiczaz (07-10-2018)

he now freely lets me scratch his head and asks for it often! I can also tell the way he looks at me is a lot different too

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-12-2018), Lady (07-15-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmiczaz View Post
    he now freely lets me scratch his head and asks for it often! I can also tell the way he looks at me is a lot different too

some pictures!

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-11-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-12-2018), Lady (07-15-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Yep, that's the spot
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

18. The following 3 users like this post:

cosmiczaz (07-11-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-12-2018), Lady (07-15-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Great job!

20. The following user likes this post:

cosmiczaz (07-12-2018)