User Tag List

Thread: Aggressive previously abused conure bites constantly?

Hybrid View

Unhappy Aggressive previously abused conure bites constantly?

I have a green cheek conure named miricale. they bite when I put my hand near them, they have good days and bad days but I've tried alot and I'm lost. my hands and fingers are constantly bleeding. I've tried blowing at them but then they try to bite my mouth and face. most times they'll hop on my finger after biting. I've tried step up but they bite the perch I offer. I thought it might be me because I have naturally shaking hands, but they do it to my family too not as much as me (I'm around them more). I suspect they were abused because I knew the previous owner who abused or ignored his other pets, they also lived with a grabby child. I'm out of ideas please help.

2. The following user likes this post:

LesliesBabies (07-21-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Miricale needs to learn to trust you. It sounds like it has learned that if it bites, it gets a reaction. For now, can Miricale have the freedom to just sit in or on it's cage without you trying to get it to step on your finger? Let Miricale come to you and have a treat handy like a piece of nut or millet so it knows that you will give treats if it comes to you. This may take a few weeks...it has to unlearn the biting behaviour. Right now, try to avoid a bite. Even if it means not trying to touch it for a while.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

LesliesBabies (07-21-2018), PlaxMacaws (07-03-2018), Quakerella (07-08-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi emb,
    How long have you had Miricale? I agree with Dragonlady2, it's best to sit back and be the observer. Watch her, get to know her likes and dislikes, I wouldn't bother trying to get her on a finger or perch right now. When you approach her cage to feed or give water what does she do, where does she sit while you are near? Know her personal space and try not to invade it. Let her come to you when she's ready.

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-04-2018), LesliesBabies (07-21-2018), PlaxMacaws (07-04-2018), Quakerella (07-08-2018)

Parrots

Glenn, Indian Ringneck; Sherman, White-capped Pionus; JoJo, Budgie; Tommy, Budgie; Sir Lancelot, Yellow-side Greencheek; Daytona, Sun Conure
    Three ways I've deal with this are
    1) Stick training. Although smaller birds sometimes fear it, it can be down with a clicker;
    2) Fist training. Use the back of your hand with your fingers foldedJ under like a fist;
    3) Step Up retraining. This will only work with food motivated not click motivated birds. Repeat steps a & b for two days each, then step c as necessary.
    a) Place his favorite treat on a table for free
    b) Lay your hand, fingers outstretched, on the table palmside down. Say, "Step Up." (You may need to show him the treat on the opposite side. Reward him only when both feet are on your hand and only if you have said it.
    c) Turn your hand perpendicular to the table. Repeat b) but with turned hand.

Remember three things about conures:
    1) They tend to be MOODY. One day they love you, the next they hate you, then they love you.
    2) They tend to be BITERS.
    3) They tend to be PREENERS. I've yet to figure if this is a vanity- thing!

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-21-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-21-2018)

Parrots

Glenn, Indian Ringneck; Sherman, White-capped Pionus; JoJo, Budgie; Tommy, Budgie; Sir Lancelot, Yellow-side Greencheek; Daytona, Sun Conure
    I didn't mention that in my experience (I usually rescue abused birds.) It takes much longer with previously abused birds. You get to untrain them then train them. Their experiences with humans has NOT been positive and only they can decide when and if, humans are trustworthy. So much of what you read/hear about training methods regards young, hand- raised birds that have had positive experiences with humans. Some birds can take a year or more; some, only months.

Usually, I try to quarantine them in room that I can just sit or lie in. I start with a closed cage door then eventually open it to let the bird choose when it's ready.

I both thank you and congratulate you. The most loyal birds I've ever had were rescues!

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-21-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-21-2018)