User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My rescue Eclectus lunging forward and back

Hybrid View

Parrots

I have a rescue Eclectus named Pickles

My rescue Eclectus lunging forward and back

My Eclectus will lunge forward and back in his cage, sometimes hitting his beak on the cage but not always. Can someone tell me why he's doing this? Tried to add a video but its not downloading for some reason.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Is he doing this on his own or is he lunging towards you or something else? Does he make any noise when he is doing this?

Parrots

He doesn't make any noise either. He's still not coming out or stepping up Helena. The doors left open all the time. He accidentally stepped up once after I spayed him down in his cage and as soon as he realized he did he flew off and ran back to his cage and climbed up himself wanting no help from me. I give treats talk sweetly. I don't think he wants to bond at all. The lunging thing, he seems very upset but nothing I can see is the cause.

Parrots

No he's not lunging at anything but doesn't seem happy either. Back and forth. He does it alot. I try talking to him but he just runs away and when I walk away he does it again

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    My advice to you right now is to try to not be so anxious around him. I have found that my Ekkie is the more sensitive of all my birds. Even my canaries singing will get him to complain. If you don't have much information on his history, you should start from scratch. Until you understand his triggers, his likes, his dislikes...you are at a disadvantage. I know it sounds discouraging...but slow everything down for awhile. If you leave his cage door open and he doesn't come out, it's okay. He won't die and neither will you.
    Another thing, Ekkies generally are not cuddly. Their breeding season can be year round so hormones can be in play all the time. Start with a schedule i.e.) up at the same time, to bed at the same time....minimum of 10 hours uninterrupted sleep.
    Once he knows what to expect, he may not be as agitated. Just to remind me, what do you feed him and what is his food schedule...i.e.) breakfast lunch and supper?

6. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (06-28-2018)

Parrots

We go to bed the same time every night and I feed him breakfast at 8 but he doesn't usually eat for a bit. He gets fresh fruit veggies and some bountiful harvest dried mix. For lunch I will add maybe some noodles or beans but he doesn't eat alot till dinner usually. So sometimes I try sweet potato or something w fruit and some chop but he doesn't eat much veggies I end up throwing alot away. He was only fed dry mix before I got him but I try every day something else. Not sure about the lunging being something I'm doing sometimes he does it if I'm just reading or watching TV. But sometimes it's when he's upset.

Super Moderator

Parrots

You are on the right track regarding the food. Just make sure he gets a variety of food. Ekkie are known for just wanting their fruit....so I chop up romaine and kale so that it sticks to the fruit. Keep eating in front of him as that will encourage him to want to share. Food switch overs can be tricky. These things take time.
    When you speak to your bird watch his eyes. Mine will watch and listen. Sometimes I just say hi to him while I am sitting on the couch watching tv. They are always watching and listening.
    I am sure he will come around with time. It sounds like he did not have a strong relationship with his previous owner and will need to learn that with you.

9. The following user likes this post:

Lady (06-17-2018)

Parrots

No he didn't have a strong relationship w them after a few years he was put in a back bedroom because her husband didn't like him. He's 15 yrs old. That broke my heart. Thank you for your time w listening to me. I will I'm sure have more questions later lol. I just want him to be happy, and I thought he would just fall in love with me for rescuing him. And yes I really want him on my arm bad.��

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-17-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

It will come....then you will wish he was off your arm....lol

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-18-2018), Lady (06-20-2018)

Parrots

Oh I hope your right. Some people say I need to make him or it will only make him think he doesn't have to and he probably won't if I wait too long. Well we will see I will be patient and wait. Thanks so much

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-18-2018), Dragonlady2 (06-18-2018), Quakerella (06-28-2018)