User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad smell?

Bad smell?

I notice that my 2 year old cockatiel has a horrific smell from her body and her poop has changed with being more liquidly. What should I do?

EDIT:She ate soup last night, hasn’t showered in a week, and is taking medicine for pain in her foot (long story short, cabinet closed on foot) the medicine is pure watery.

EDIT 2: Thank you, our bird is perfectly fine!
    Last edited by JustCockatiels; 06-13-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    What do you mean by "soup". She should be eating pellets, fresh veggies and fruit with maybe a little seed. If by "soup" you mean soup you or I would eat, that would definitely be the reason for smelly, wet poops.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 06-13-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    What do you mean by "soup".
    By soup, I mean soup with rice put inside of it. Our bird likes eating the soupy rice.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    If this is canned soup, there is usually a lot of salt in it. For now, while she is on medication, try skipping the soup and feed her the pellets, fresh foods and seeds. This should help her with her poops and give give her energy while she is recovering. How does her foot look....any chance of an infection?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    If this is canned soup, there is usually a lot of salt in it. For now, while she is on medication, try skipping the soup and feed her the pellets, fresh foods and seeds. This should help her with her poops and give give her energy while she is recovering. How does her foot look....any chance of an infection?
    Its not canned soup, nor is her feet odd/flakey

Bad smell?

We are also not giving the medication, yesterday was the last day

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi JustCockateils,

Glad to hear your bird has finished up the medication. Is it time for the vet to check and see how she is doing or once the meds are finished, should she be okay? You mentioned the medication was watery, could this be a reason if soupy food is all she has been eating.

Dry solid food sure does sound like good advice to help the issue but you could always call the vet and let them know what you discovered, they may want to see her just to make sure she is okay. I'm sure it would ease your mind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    Hi JustCockateils,

Glad to hear your bird has finished up the medication. Is it time for the vet to check and see how she is doing or once the meds are finished, should she be okay? You mentioned the medication was watery, could this be a reason if soupy food is all she has been eating.

Dry solid food sure does sound like good advice to help the issue but you could always call the vet and let them know what you discovered they may want to see her.
    My bird is good now. Her stench is gone as well.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Great! Did it clear up on it's own or did you find out what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    Great! Did it clear up on it's own or did you find out what to do?
    She ate some seeds, apples, and millets. It cleared up the poo and The stench was probably from rancid food/smoke, and cleared up, too.