User Tag List

Thread: Handling my cockatiel, Atlas.

Threaded View

Handling my cockatiel, Atlas.

H ello, my name is Erica and I got my first bird last month, a female pearl cockatiel named Atlas. After years of research I finally found me a cockatiel to call my own. My pet shop changed owners and in the new location I found her with her mate. Originally, the pet shop wasn’t selling her because she was apparently aggressive, Besides, I wanted on cockatiel not two so originally she was off the table, but she started plucking feathers and her mate’s cheek feathers. The male was eventually sold off and she finally seemed to calm down. She seemed more scared than anything. In the end I ended up getting her.

She adapted to my home fairly quickly. She was already filled with energy, she screamed announcing her arrival as soon as she came into my house. She went to her food, watched me as I moved around my room, seeming curious and a few days later I left the door open and she came out to explore around the outside of her cage.

Now a days she sits at the door of her cage, the perch outside of her cage or on top of her cage. The only time she really goes in her cage is to eat or sleep at night.

She eventually got used to me as well, I can pet her and give her scritches she’ll even approach my hand just to get scratched. She’s not scared of my hand... when it’s above her anyway...

It’s been over a month and every bonding trial I’ve gone through has always turned out well. Being able to pet her, talking to her, even her eating out of the palm of my hand has all gone exceptionally well, but lately... I’ve been trying to get her to step on to my hand, I need to start teaching her how to step up since it is very important, but she just hates when my hand is underneath her head. She’ll scream and threaten to bite she just wants no part of it. I don’t know rather to move my hand when she screams and respect her boundaries or leave it there and not let her be spoiled.

My parents have told me to just grab her. This worker on the parakeets at the pet store, just keep grabbing them and putting them on your shoulder until they figure out you’re not going to hurt them, but I’m worried that by grabbing her it’ll ruin the trust we already have. All that bonding time wasted. I don’t want to lose that trust, but I just don’t know what to do anymore. Please help.

Thank you so much ;^^ please respond soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-11-2018), Dragonlady2 (06-11-2018), Lady (06-13-2018), Mare (06-13-2018)