User Tag List

Thread: Caique color sensitivity

Hybrid View

Caique color sensitivity

We are planning to buy a Rabbitair room air purifier before we bring home our Caique. We are considering one of the artists series front cover for the unit. How sensitive are Caiques to color patterns?

Skip

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I am unsure of any colour sensitivities, but I do not have experience with caiques. If you are purchasing an air purifier be sure to have one that has an off button for ionizer. I use a Bionaire and have the ionizer shut off at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    I am unsure of any colour sensitivities, but I do not have experience with caiques. If you are purchasing an air purifier be sure to have one that has an off button for ionizer. I use a Bionaire and have the ionizer shut off at all times.
    The Rabbitair is supposed to be a zero ozone emission.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Most birds like colourful items. I would think your issue might be that your bird might be too attracted to it...lol

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Rosalyn: What is the problem with ionizers? I think our air purifier has been churning ionized air out for several years.

Casper has no particular colour preferences and is happy to chew to matchwood any colour of wooden toy that happens to be in his way. He does get extremely agitated when people are wearing red jackets though. But he is quite happy to sleep cuddled up to a red cosy. We're not sure why he has this hatred of red coats.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Rosalyn: What is the problem with ionizers? I think our air purifier has been churning ionized air out for several years.
    Sorry Jean-Pierre, I completely missed this. I haven't done an extensive research into the ionizer, but have been advised that it can cause severe lung and respiratory issues. I actually pulled out the manual for the one I currently use and there is a warning that states, using the ionizer within the vicinity of birds may be cause respiratory distress or death. I really don't want to take any chances.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Thanks Rosalyn.
    I have checked the manuals for both our filters and neither mentions that there may be a problem for birds.
    The air filter we used to use in the room with Casper's cage (HeavenFresh 7 stage) had a u/v ioniser that could not be turned off. We used it for five years and Casper did have some breathing problems but whether this was due to the ioniser is not known. The vet never questioned whether we were using a filter.
    The only stuff I could find on the internet was speculation and propaganda.
    The new filter (ProBreeze) has a switch for the ioniser and I did tell Margaret that it was not needed but I just checked and it was on again so I will put a "DO NOT USE" label on it.
    Casper is not of a species that creates a lot of dander, so the filter is mainly to remove odour and house dust.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I have read the same on the use of ionizers around birds. I have a hepa filter purifier without an ionizer.