User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with my rescue Eclectus please

Parrots

I have a rescue Eclectus named Pickles

Help with my rescue Eclectus please

I've recently adopted an Eckie and everything was great after he settled in he lived spending time with me but something frightened him on my hand and he won't stay on to make matters worse I tried to spend time alone w him in my room and it he flew under the bed, after finally getting him out he flew into a mirror and the flew off my hand into a door and now won't come out or step up. Bribing him doesn't work but he will take treats from my hand but will not step up. I don't know what to do being a rescue already I don't want to scare him anymore than I've done.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hi and welcome to the forum! How long have you had your ekkie? To start with, for right now, don’t force him to step up.
    How was he in his previous home? Did he step up?

Parrots

Hello thank you for answering. I've had him a little over a month and he came from a rescue. The past owners said he turned vicious which I haven't seen. I see he's very wary but after a week or so we were inseperetable. Then this happened and now he's scared, I understand but how will he ever trust me again?? Won't he become cage bound as they call it

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    He won't become cage bound. My Ekkie steps up on my arm. He can be very slow to react to requests which is a notable trait in Ekkies. When you want to spend time with him, open the cage door and allow him the freedom to come out on his own for now. If you have a specific treat for him, just sit there and read a book, watch tv etc holding out the treat in your hand. He may come, he may not...but let him decide for now. Use the treat to get him back in his cage by putting it in his food bowl. Ekkies are notorious food hounds and treats are good training tools. Give him time to settle in again.
    What diet are you feeding him? What other parrots have you had? How old is he?

5. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-01-2018), PlaxMacaws (06-02-2018), Quakerella (06-05-2018), T bird (06-01-2018)

Parrots

I feed him fresh veggies and fruit w some rice or a little Noddles I mix in some bountiful blend or dried citrus mix. The reduce only fed him the dried mix so he loves the food I give him. I always leave his cage open when I'm home because he used to sit on a perch on his door. He only has twice since the incident and scurrys in when I walk in the room. He used to sit on top of the cage too but he's stoped that too�� although the rescue said he never did that there. He's admit that what happened is my fault. I have my chair next to his cage and I read or watch TV there. It's been almost 2 weeks he takes treats but get mad if I even try to have him step up. How long before he gets too scared to ever come out?? Thank u

Parrots

He's 15 years old and I've only had a cockatiel. Sorry forgot to add

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Welcome to the forum Trina
    Helena has some good ideas and I would just like to agree and say let the bird make the decisions in his own time.
    I have no experience of Eclectus parrots but our blue fronted amazon called Casper loves to explore under furniture and spends a lot of time under a cardboard box giggling and muttering to himself. He comes out when he is hungry.
    Mirrors and windows can be a problem so best cover them before letting your bird out of the cage. Also anything sharp that he might land on like potted cactus.
    I am sure you will be fine, have faith and keep up the bribes.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-01-2018), Quakerella (06-05-2018), T bird (06-01-2018)

Parrots

Thank you for listening I'm new to all of this and don't even know how to like your posts lol I wish he would come out again.. he just won't be bribed. Helena have you any Elie's from rescue? My pickles was treated horribly before the rescue and you can tell by some of the things he says. Are you definitely sure he could stay in that cage for weeks or months and never come out? Because he doesn't trust I'll keep him safe on my hand now?

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (06-01-2018)

Parrots

Thank you Jean-Pierre for the welcome

13. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (06-02-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

As long as you give him the option to come out, he will venture out in his own time. If you try to force him, he may decide you are not to be trusted. Right now, trust is going to be very important in building your relationship with him. Ekkies take a while to think things through. I find they are very deliberate thinkers and quite intelligent. It may take a week or a month or longer....patience is the key. Do you eat in front of him? He may want to share your food if he sees you eating.

15. The following 4 users like this post:

Lady (06-03-2018), PlaxMacaws (06-02-2018), Quakerella (06-05-2018), T bird (06-02-2018)