User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cloacal prolapse in conure

cloacal prolapse in conure

Hello,
    We have a male dusky conure who is 26.5 years old. He has been with us all his life. Two months ago we’ve noticed that his cloaca prolapsed and we took him to AMC right away. He had an X-ray done and they repaired his cloaca and put him on antibiotics. He was fine for a week and it prolapsed again after they removed stitches. We took him to Avian and Exotic Animsls Center and they repaired his cloaca again. And again it prolapsed after a few days. They also did a blood work and a DNA test. The test didn’t show any gross abnormalities. The next step they said would be to take him back to AMC for a CT scan. We opted out of it, not wanting to expose him to a general anesthesia since they said it would be close to impossible to have a successful surgery on a bird of his age. That was a month ago. We are taking care of him, clean him and pushing lightly with a q- tip on his prolapse help him to poop. He eats and drinks and besides having trouble with elimination is doing okay. What do you suggest? What might be the problem with him? It looks like his muscles are not strong enough to push it out.
    Thanks a lot!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! Wow, what a dilemma. What are the vets giving as options if you do not do the ct scan?

Basically, they suggest going for all kind of testing just to find out, hopefully, what’s wrong with him. And it costs a lot of money, of course! As far as the testament is concerned, they are saying that 90% chance that he will not survive the surgery, anyway!

Prolapse

Basically, they suggest going for all kind of testing just to find out, hopefully, what’s wrong with him. And it costs a lot of money, of course! As far as the treatment is concerned, they are saying that 90% chance that he will not survive the surgery, anyway!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Do they have an opinion regarding not doing anything? Is the bird in pain? Prognosis?

Only what I wrote already, cT test, another $800 and not much hope for cure

Surgery on such small elderly parrot most of the time is unsuccessful. I am just trying to do what I can and hope that owners with similar problems can give me some suggestions

Super Moderator

Parrots

What I meant was....if you do nothing regarding more testing, can your bird survive without pain or discomfort?

That’s exactly my question! Doctors don’t say anything, they say that the bird has to be tested first for them to give any prognosis. But the testing will not insure cure...
    My question was to the people who experienced similar problems...

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I wish I could help, never encountered this. I hope someone else can give some suggestions.