User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cloacal prolapse in conure

Parrots

Glenn, Indian Ringneck; Sherman, White-capped Pionus; JoJo, Budgie; Tommy, Budgie; Sir Lancelot, Yellow-side Greencheek; Daytona, Sun Conure
    I had a Lovebird with the same and the clinic suggested same. Keep in mind this was a decade ago. I had never heard of such a thing.
    He survived the CT which seemed to only complicate matters and stress us all more than anything including the cloacal prolapse itself. He did not survive the surgery.
    Physical pain did not seem to be a problem but, he was obviously uncomfortable by his behavioral changes.
    I'll be blunt like the AV was. You can expect this routine for the next several years. Are you AND the bird willing to live this way? Can you afford the specialty foods and drugs? This will come up, again. Does your bird totally trust you? Unfortunately, this becomes a technical question as much as or more than an emotional one. The AV took my responses and divided or doubled them.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-25-2018)

Parrots

Glenn, Indian Ringneck; Sherman, White-capped Pionus; JoJo, Budgie; Tommy, Budgie; Sir Lancelot, Yellow-side Greencheek; Daytona, Sun Conure
    Several decades ago, my older female lovie was consistently eggbound. I chose to take her off Lupron. She laid resulting in vent prolapse which is the same thing. She was placed on strong antibiotics and a cloacal gel.
    She survived the XRAYS, scan and stitches but not the eventual surgery.
    Discuss alternatives to surgery with your AV! More importantly, get a second opinion elsewhere. The cost will be high, but hopefully not prohibitive.
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this, too. Please consider the effects on the bird as well. Good luck and best wishes to you all.

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-22-2018)

Parrots

My " he" was a female named George. This happened 17 years ago. Avian medicine has improved much since then!
    You, no doubt, will have options unavailable to me back then.
    I had three basic options:
    1. Surgery which few birds that age and size survived;
    2. Euthanasia;
    3. Continuation of the same in- home treatment.

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-22-2018)