User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Fertile Clutch

Parrots

Tiki (GCC), Kiwi (CC), Clutch: Baby #1 Sunni, Baby #2 Cali, Baby #3 Munki & Baby #4 Buddi
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever16 View Post
    Hi Everyone. New to Forum ... First Post.

We have a Green Cheek Conure (F) age 4 & a Cinnamon Conure (M) age 1. They had their first Clutch last month, 4 eggs (2 came out Regular and the other 2 Deflated), all not Fertile. Then they had another Clutch late April/ early May (5 Eggs). We just Candled 4 out of the 5 Eggs and all of them are Fertile.

Both Parents are in the same cage and their Nesting Box is in their cage as well. Our questions are ...

1) Do we leave the Chicks in the Nesting Box after they hatch or do we put them in a Brooder Box?
    2) If they stay with their Parents do we need to regulate Temperature?
    3) Do we need to Hand Feed (Schedule Hand Feeding) or do we let the Parents take care of the Feedings?

Any help would be Appreciated!
    Also ... What would be the recommended brand for Formula for the Babies?
    Tiki (GCC) Kiwi (CC) + Clutch: Baby #1: Sunni - 5/22/18, Baby #2: Cali - 5/23, Baby #3: Munki - 5/25 & Baby #4: Buddi - 5/27

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Congratulations on the hatching of the first chick

How can we tell if the chick is not getting enough food or attention from the Parents? What signs do we look for? Also, when they are in the Brooder, do we place the Parents in the Brooder for feeding or should we be hand feeding by then?
    You will be able to tell very quickly if the parents are attending or not. 1) You will be able to hear the babies being fed. 2) look at the crop of the baby (pouch in the front) it will be bulged and you will be able to see the food through the skin. If you are letting the parents raise the babies, just leave them in the nest together. The parents will keep them warm. The only time you will need a brooder is if the babies are pulled from the nest because the parents are not feeding, or you decide to hand feed. If you pull the babies they will require feedings thoughout the night. I will suggest you get yourself a small digital kitchen scale. If you have to hand feed the babies, you will want to weigh them every day to make sure they are gaining weight. I weigh mine before the first feeding of the day.

There is no need to remove the shells from the nest. The mother will eat them to replenish her calcium.

There are many opinions regarding formula. Check with your nearest pet store to see what they have readily available. Personally, I am a dedicated Hagen user. I have seen too many recalls from various other companies and Hagen has a large Avicultural Research Institute that tests for many years before providing to the public. Just my personal opinion.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-23-2018), Lady (05-26-2018)