User Tag List

Thread: Sweet corn for caiques

Sweet corn for caiques

We got some local sweet corn for our caique and didn't know if the corn should be cooked or served raw.

Skip

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    My birds love sweet corn....I feed it to them sparingly. Too high sodium content and it results in feather plucking for mine if I feed it too often. If you give it as a treat it is fine to feed it raw. Great questions.

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-15-2018), Lady (07-15-2018), Quakerella (07-15-2018)

Parrots

Glenn, Indian Ringneck; Sherman, White-capped Pionus; JoJo, Budgie; Tommy, Budgie; Sir Lancelot, Yellow-side Greencheek; Daytona, Sun Conure
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    My birds love sweet corn....I feed it to them sparingly. Too high sodium content and it results in feather plucking for mine if I feed it too often. If you give it as a treat it is fine to feed it raw. Great questions.
    My birds prefer to destroy the cobs. Most of it goes into their water or falls to bottom of the cages. Some does get ingested!

I grow a small ear variety. My new AV said to eat the kernels myself, then tie the small cob onto the cage on major cage cleaning day once a week (~1/3 store-sized COB weekly).

Most corn you buy is large ear sweet corn. It sells best! Try buying "No Salt Added" frozen corn and giving it in LIMITED amounts. Note, ORGANIC does not mean UNSALTED.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (07-22-2018), Dragonlady2 (07-22-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    As I explained to the chef in a rather seedy restaurant in Brighton (England): It is very easy for a customer to add salt if they want more but it is an impossibility to remove it from a meal that is uneatable.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (07-22-2018), Lady (07-25-2018)