User Tag List

Thread: New Cockatiel Help?!

Hybrid View

New Cockatiel Help?!

I just got my first bird, a grey cockatiel. He came from a breeder. Someone else in my family also got the same kind of bird from the same breeder. They can hear each other and often will be screaming at each other. At times my bird, Skye, will be fine being on my finger and perching on my shoulder, but other times he hisses and snaps at me. He does this in numerous places. But mostly in his cage. He seems to have gotten more aggressive since another family member got their bird. Advice? To have them stop screaming and biting/hissing/snapping.

P.S. He is always shivering. Why is that?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hi and welcome to the forum! Some birds are territorial over their cage and can get aggressive if someone gets in their cage/space. I have one bird that I let out on his own because he will tear my finger off if I dare try to have him step up on my finger in the cage.
    Can your bird see the other bird? Sounds like they are flock calling. Your bird may be calling for the other one to come over.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (05-08-2018), Quakerella (05-14-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum! Some birds are territorial over their cage and can get aggressive if someone gets in their cage/space. I have one bird that I let out on his own because he will tear my finger off if I dare try to have him step up on my finger in the cage.
    Can your bird see the other bird? Sounds like they are flock calling. Your bird may be calling for the other one to come over.
    Thanks for your reply, they can't see each other, but they definitely do know each other. My only problem with putting them together too often is that they will get bonded to each other and not to myself. Is this the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-08-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Jolie,
    How long have you had Skye? Since you both got them from the same breeder could it be that maybe they know each other and want to spend some time together? I wouldn't advise for them to be out of the cage together but perhaps in the same room in their cages. That won't stop any of the things you described from happening but it might be a reason why some of it is happening.
    I have more questions than answers because each situation can be different for each reason they are behaving. You might just have to look more closely at what is happening around her when she is responding in each circumstance to get a better picture of what she may be feeling.

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-08-2018), Jolie07 (05-08-2018), Quakerella (05-14-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Potentially, yes, the two birds may bond with each other if you put them in the same cage. If you take them out separately there should be less of an issue. As well, they could spend a little out of cage time together. If they truly want to be together, I suspect there won't be much you can do to overcome instincts. But that doesn't mean that you can't have a relationship with your bird. you can still spend time individually with your bird out of sight from the other.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Jolie07 (05-08-2018), Lady (05-11-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Jolie, are they siblings? If this is the case they will definitely call to each other and want to be together. I have found with siblings, they can be tame if time is spent with them and still spend time with the other bird. Alice, if I am not mistaken you also raised cockatiels. Did you find the same?

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-15-2018)