User Tag List

Thread: Leg Band ID Help

Parrots

Yzma - Regent Parrot

Leg Band ID Help

Hey all! It's been a while since I posted here. My rescued regent parrot, Yzma, is doing great! She's a wonderful addition to the household. She's still not the most affectionate bird and really doesn't like to be held or handled, but she does love to whistle and chatter. She greets everyone who comes to the back door, and has discovered how tasty treats can be. I was finally able to get close enough to read her leg band without forcibly pinning her down. It says NOA 94 23. The 94 is sideways. I've tried looking for databases online but keep coming up with broken links and dead ends. Can anyone help or is this a lost cause?

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-05-2018), PlaxMacaws (05-05-2018)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltsrhott View Post
    Hey all! It's been a while since I posted here. My rescued regent parrot, Yzma, is doing great! She's a wonderful addition to the household. She's still not the most affectionate bird and really doesn't like to be held or handled, but she does love to whistle and chatter. She greets everyone who comes to the back door, and has discovered how tasty treats can be. I was finally able to get close enough to read her leg band without forcibly pinning her down. It says NOA 94 23. The 94 is sideways. I've tried looking for databases online but keep coming up with broken links and dead ends. Can anyone help or is this a lost cause?
    Hi... I remember you! Glad to hear Yzma is doing well . Is her band's style flat and solid? Or is it the round, gapped stainless steel type? If it's the latter it's a quarantine band, not a breeder band. Quarantine bands typically begin with three letters. However, your numbers may not follow the correct pattern. I'm unsure at this point.

Here's a page on the quarantine band codes: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our...bird_leg_bands ("N" would be from a New York quarantine station.)

And here's a link to a breeder band registry: http://www.legbandregistry.com/registry_view.php

It appears that it may not be very easy to track down her band code without extensive digging. Please let us know what you learn.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (05-05-2018), Lady (05-08-2018)

Parrots

Yzma - Regent Parrot
    Thanks for your response!

The band is flat and solid, so a breeder band. I was told Yzma was bred in California. Not sure if that's true. I was also told she was about 10 but some seem to think the 94 is her hatch year. That would make her a lot older than 10.

I may never really know. The breeder band registry didn't turn anything up and with her last owner being dead, it might be impossible to trace her.

I'll keep digging but even if I come up empty handed I still love her the same. <3 She's here now and that's what matters most.

6. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (05-05-2018)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltsrhott View Post
    Thanks for your response!

The band is flat and solid, so a breeder band. I was told Yzma was bred in California. Not sure if that's true. I was also told she was about 10 but some seem to think the 94 is her hatch year. That would make her a lot older than 10.

I may never really know. The breeder band registry didn't turn anything up and with her last owner being dead, it might be impossible to trace her.

I'll keep digging but even if I come up empty handed I still love her the same. <3 She's here now and that's what matters most.
    I as well have some birds that I've never been able to track to their hatch dates. One of them has an Avid microchip with an ID number that wasn't registered when I got him. Plus, said chip wasn't installed by his breeder or initial owner, but instead by a third or fourth owner. Then two of my others birds were wild caught and imported from South America around 1980. Such scenarios can make it impossible to ever learn when and where our guys may have originated. Thankfully accurate hatch dates aren't necessary for the delivery of perpetual love
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

8. The following user likes this post:

Lady (05-08-2018)