User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im concerned. plz help

Parrots

Angel - Cockatiel Crystal - Budgie Kiwi - Budgie

Exclamation Im concerned. plz help

hey ppl. had 2 make an account cause im concerned about my budgie, crystal. shes 7yrs old. so shes getting up there age wise.
    anyways, shes been acting like shes in a lot of pain! she makes noise when she is eating and doing daily things, like shes in pain. like it hurts to bend over into the food dish. she has been much aggressive lately, like she doesn't want to be picked up or held, probably do 2 pain.
    the vet i took my other bird kiwi 2, wants 2 see her before selling any meds 2 me. and a new pet appt costs more than i have atm.
    im rly hoping for an outlet here that can help her with the pain. there's nothing wrong with her, other than old age. I think she just needs, some mild pain reliever daily.
    not sure where or what to go looking for.
    i was planning on calling several vet offices on monday asking if they will sell me metacam. I already no the dosage, and everything, from kiwi having his treatment.

I would rly like any feedback you have, or products that could help. I think its her feet, arthritis most likley.
    My cockatiel seems to actually have similar issues, but reacts different, and doesn't seem to be as bad, but hes also younger. but from time 2 time, he will attack his feet, noth8ing real bad like bloody kind of stuff, but its clearly bothering him.

I do have several kinds of perches, and they walk around the house freely, as i have a small apt, and no other pets. just me and my wife, and the fids.

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Hope and welcome. So sorry to hear of the issues your little Crystal is having. Pain meds may help, but you really need to find out what is causing the problem before you can treat it properly. Pain medication will alleviate the pain, but the condition may get worse to the point it is not treatable. I know vets are expensive, they are here too. Maybe there is a veterinary school within your area that may be able to help, it is worth a look. If your cockatiel is having the same sort of issue I would look at your surroundings and what is in the cage. I have heard the cement perches and sand paper coverings can cause many issues with the feet. I do not know this for a fact as I have never used either.

I hope you find out soon. Please keep us posted and we would love to see some pics of your fids.

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-07-2018), Dragonlady2 (04-07-2018), SparklyBirdPoo (04-07-2018)

Parrots

just uploaded several photos, still trying to figure out how 2 change my main pic. anyways i dont have sandpaper or cement perches for that exact reason! I have heard too many bad things about them so i dont go near them. My guys have lots of rope type perches with the wire in the middle, so they can bend and twist to cool shapes for your convenience. I also grabbed a couple branches from outside. let them dry out, then added them in. but I never notice them useing those much anyhow. i figured they would be more fun for a chew toy, cause crystal especially loves to tear everything 2 pieces

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hi Hope, I think that if your other bird has no similar problems metacam would be worth a try for a couple of weeks as she is reaching the age where bones do ache. Hopefully it will improve her quality of life.
    Do you know anyone who has an elderly dog on metacam, you will need so little I am sure they wouldn't mind sparing you a few drops. If you are careful you should be able to get it without having an asthma attack.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

unfortunately i am not aware of anyone who has a dog on metacam. i am going 2 call around, maybe a vet clinic will sell some 2 me. wish me luck
    Angel
    Crystal
    Kiwi

7. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-07-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Is there an Anti-cruelty society clinic near you? If not, ask the vets if you can pay them a bit each week.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 04-07-2018 at 07:38 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

I called a couple and they referred me to care credit. NVR heard of that clinic

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
    Angel
    Crystal
    Kiwi

10. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-08-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
    I called a couple and they referred me to care credit. NVR heard of that clinic

Weird my user name changed logging in on my phone

Angel
    Crystal
    Kiwi

Parrots

Last night, and all this morning i did a lot of web searching. first trying to see if i could buy metacam online. you can but still need that prescription.
    So I looked into other things, found that people treat their birds, among other pets! with common over the counter meds. In this case the required med was pediatric ibprophen.
    I went to the closest store to take a look. I ended up chatting with a worker for product info. low and behold, she treated her chicken that got attacked by a dog, with the same method. pediatric ibrophen. of course she couldnt give any info or suggestions, due to her job and such.
    but I administered the medication to crystal earlier today, and she has been doing to great!
    the entire bottle was 6-7$ and i need just a drop mixed with water and bird roudybush treat mashed into a thin paste.

shes still a bit gumpy, but she has been eating without pain, and over all shes lightened up, and been happier.
    the roudybush mash is needed, cuase ibprophen can casue tummy trouble. its better to add substance when administering it.

just FYI. the measurements were not exact, and i dont reccomed any of this. you rly should go to a vet if ur not 100% confident in what ur doing
    Angel
    Crystal
    Kiwi

13. The following user likes this post:

Parrots

i did a full cage clean today, while crystal was feeling better with the medz. I adjusted the cage a bit. The big perch in the middle (green), came with the cage, and it was normally just plain processed smooth wooden perch. the bad kind. it used 2 be lower, while back and rearly used, cause birds always go 2 the higher perch. I moved the stuff around due to cage aggression (being territorial).
    So they started using the wooden perch more.
    I left it in its normal place as before, but today due 2 crystals pain, I wrapped vet tape around it for cushion, and add width differences to aid with feet problems.
    i know that the same size perch for a long time can cause problems like use with carpool tunnel, but i dont think thats the root of the problem, cause i have several other perches that r different sizes, just that 1 perch could pose an issue, and it was not there for much longer than a month or 2.
    Angel
    Crystal
    Kiwi

15. The following user likes this post: