User Tag List

Thread: Unknown Behaviour

Parrots

2x Scaled-breasted Lorikeet (Leprechaun and Ozzy)

Unknown Behaviour

Hi ^^

We recently just got a scaled breasted lorikeet and for the first week it was fine (gender is unknown as of yet but its name is leprechaun). It would eat its wet food just fine and the fruit we would give it. We recently went to an Avery and they said we were to always give it dry food and wet food every now and then. As we wanted to do what was right for our Lori, we started to do that but thats when the problems started to happen. It would kick its food out of its dish quite often, I tried changing bowls moving the bowl (because it had escaped once so i thought that it was trying to escape again) but it keeps kicking the food I have a picture and video of it happening so you can see it. any help in fixing the problem would be fantastic thank you

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Lori's have a specific food formulated just for them. You need to get your bird back on a wet food diet right away. The dry food can be added as a supplement, but the main diet is Lori nectar as well as fruits. It may be looking for its wet food when it is scratching and tossing like it is. Do you weigh it regularly? My concern is that it is not eating enough to sustain it.

Parrots

We haven’t weighed it we don’t have a scale to do so where would be the best place to get one and I will start on the wet food immediately

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-26-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Not sure where you are located. Do you have a department store like walmart? You can find a weigh scale in the kitchen area of these stores. Get a little plastic tub to place your Lori in and weigh them both together. You will be able to tell if your bird is maintaining weight by checking daily for the next little while and then you could go to weekly or bi-weekly.

6. The following user likes this post:

MandersPanders (03-27-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Yep kitchen scales is the way to go, you can set them to zero with the box or perch you are going to use before you weigh the bird. Like you weigh a bowl before adding ingredients when cooking.
    Here is Casper demonstrating how it is done on the little perch I made for him. If you reward the bird for being on the scales they soon become quite willing to take part in the game.

How to weigh a parrot by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-26-2018), Lady (03-29-2018), MandersPanders (03-27-2018)

Parrots

Thank you weighed it and it’s weight was 83.5 grams is that a good weight?

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-26-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

It is just a couple of grams under the average. Weigh him everyday to see if he is eating enough to maintain or increase the weight. You will be able to sort this out in no time.

12. The following user likes this post:

Lady (03-29-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I don't know what the usual weight should be but that is not so important as any sudden change of weight. Casper's weight does fluctuate through the seasons but because we keep a weekly check, when he suddenly went from 420 grams to 370 we wizzed him into the vets (he is a much bigger bird than yours) and they stuffed him full of antibiotics before letting him home again. We could also tell he wasn't eating like usual and was sleeping a lot, not his normal self.
    He is now in a no-win situation, if he doesn't put on weight we think he isn't eating enough and when he does put on a bit of weight we start cutting out the fattening treats.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-27-2018), Lady (03-29-2018)

Parrots

Thanks guys I now know not to take advice from that Avery place because I really don’t think she knew what she was talking about thank you again for your help and advice

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-27-2018), Lady (03-29-2018)