User Tag List

Thread: Hi all

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure

Hi all

So again its been awhile things seem to keep getting worse for me i feel bad at the lack of perches and toys the boys have bit o well im doing my best i love my boys they are the only thing keeping me a little happy Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180310_104819.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	5105

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-25-2018), Dragonlady2 (03-24-2018), Lady (03-25-2018), PlaxMacaws (03-25-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Good to hear from you. Too bad things aren't going better for you.

Can you find some branches that you could use for perches? I use apple branches. Sometimes toys are ones you don't expect they will like. I have one that loves to tear newspaper into bits, another will shred baskets. Are you able to get to lumber yard or home improvement store? They sometimes have scraps or ends of wood that they are garbaging or selling cheap. I went to the dollar store and got measuring spoons and cups that they like to toss around on the floor.

Hope things start to looking up for you soon

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-25-2018), Lady (03-25-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    A lovely photo, keep your spirits up and if you need help don't be too proud to ask, by private message if you prefer. Care in the community - its what friends are for.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-25-2018), Lady (03-25-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Aww Jenn it is good to see and hear from you guys. I agree that sometimes we can make toys out of the strangest things. I use paper towel holders, cardboard and left over parts that Lady hasn't quite destroyed. I save the chain that came from a store bought toy and hang parts and some new items mixed together to make a toy. Here is one link about homemade parrot toys that might give you some ideas to try https://www.exoticdirect.co.uk/news/...de-parrot-toys.

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-25-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Good to hear from you. Too bad things aren't going better for you.

Can you find some branches that you could use for perches? I use apple branches. Sometimes toys are ones you don't expect they will like. I have one that loves to tear newspaper into bits, another will shred baskets. Are you able to get to lumber yard or home improvement store? They sometimes have scraps or ends of wood that they are garbaging or selling cheap. I went to the dollar store and got measuring spoons and cups that they like to toss around on the floor.

Hope things start to looking up for you soon
    Thanks ya things are crummy eventually ill be loosimg the place im living and ill have to find a cheapish avairey for them as ill be moving into my trailer and its not big enough for the boys as far as wood we have trees out here i know pines but im not sure what the otheres are or how to disnfect the wood and i dont have propane so i cant use my oven i made lucky a chain with plastic water bottles i de lided and cut holes in then strung them on a chain i had. Ive tryed boxes and tp rolls hes not so into them and chewie isnt either i collected a couple of spoons and measuring cups as of right now i dont have a way to leave home as i would not be able to make it back had a job interview yesterday if my background passes i may have found a job ill know in a couple more days

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-28-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    A lovely photo, keep your spirits up and if you need help don't be too proud to ask, by private message if you prefer. Care in the community - its what friends are for.
    Thank you they are the only thing keeping me from falling into a super nasty deep dark depression this year has been so hard i have till november untill my hubby gets out if i can make it that long and i do need help lol but its not easy for me to ask ... .. Hell being homeless for 5 years was easier than last year and this year so far combined .. And ive never tryed so hard either i just hope ot all ammounts to somthing in the end

12. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-31-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    Aww Jenn it is good to see and hear from you guys. I agree that sometimes we can make toys out of the strangest things. I use paper towel holders, cardboard and left over parts that Lady hasn't quite destroyed. I save the chain that came from a store bought toy and hang parts and some new items mixed together to make a toy. Here is one link about homemade parrot toys that might give you some ideas to try https://www.exoticdirect.co.uk/news/...de-parrot-toys.
    I will look at the link i feel kinda like a bad parton as lucky only had a couple toys when i got him and i have not been able to get him many more i just hope hes happy and he knows im doing the best i can for him as far as toys ive tryed tubes from tp and paper towles hes not so into them i havent fugired out what he likes i dont think he had much experince with toys in his previous homes and chewie is so small idk what to use as toys

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyandjenn View Post
    I will look at the link i feel kinda like a bad parton as lucky only had a couple toys when i got him and i have not been able to get him many more i just hope hes happy and he knows im doing the best i can for him as far as toys ive tryed tubes from tp and paper towles hes not so into them i havent fugired out what he likes i dont think he had much experince with toys in his previous homes and chewie is so small idk what to use as toys
    Well what does he play with mostly? I think Casper's 2nd best friend suggested a water bottle is something Casper enjoys. He was given that idea from Plax as it is one of the toys one of his guys likes.
    How about adding some plastic measuring spoons or cups hanging on a chain from a toy that he already likes. Some birds like metal stuff too, but you have to be sure it is stainless steel and not coated. If I think of anything else I'll post it as well.

15. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (03-31-2018)

Parrots

If i had more measuring spoons and cups he likes thoes he loves stuff he can shread apart i dont have much of that a round he likes things that he can clink. Togather for sound and idk about chewie he dosent really play hes always on me o lucky likes foraging toys to not sure if there are any dyi toys like that he has a chain i ran water bottles on he seems to like it

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    The way to tell the difference between stainless steel (good) and regular steel (bad if coated with zinc) is put it against a magnet. Stainless steel does not stick to magnets like regular steel. If anyone asks what you are doing wandering around the store holding a magnet against things just tell them you have a parrot. Hopefully they will just go away and leave you alone thinking you might be dangerous.
    Casper is getting quite good at throwing his plastic bottle, manages to toss it a good three to four feet - not bad for a wee birdy
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (04-01-2018), PlaxMacaws (03-31-2018)