User Tag List

Thread: Plans for your Parrots....who gets them?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.

Plans for your Parrots....who gets them?

My Parrots will probably outlive me. My family is not interested in caring for them....other than possibly, Joey.
    I have started a journal with sections for each of the birds. I have noted behaviour, food etc.
    I have listed two places that I think will rehome them properly. It's sad to think about having to do this, but the thought that my birds would be at the mercy of my family who basically know nothing about what is required and how to go about rehoming is a little scary...lol.

Does anyone else have a plan for their Parrots?

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (03-25-2018), Quakerella (03-28-2018), SparklyBirdPoo (04-08-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Excellent idea for a thread, we are the second generation of carers for Casper. It had never occurred to us that we would be lumbered with a parrot but he has got us under control now.
    And if he outlives our ability to care for him? Yeah, that's a worry. Our son might have to overcome his fear of being bitten and hatred of sudden screeches. The people Casper stays with while we are on holiday are older than us but their son gets on better with Casper than our son. I don't know whether his new partner would be agreeable but hopefully she has a few years to get used to the idea after I tell her she has been nominated. I have no plans on crossing my own rainbow bridge in the near future.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 03-23-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-23-2018), Lady (03-25-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    My youngest daughter would take our girl if needed. I like the idea of a journal of health information, needs and likes. It sure can't hurt.

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-25-2018), Dragonlady2 (03-25-2018), SparklyBirdPoo (04-08-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Yes, we have a journal, a small hard covered note book with all Caspers happenings in, including his weight every week with notes about the reasons for any gains or losses, whether he is moulting and when he is taking medication. It helps us as well because our memories aren't like they used to be. I think my brain's ram is full and needs disc doctoring and defragging.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-26-2018), Lady (03-29-2018), Quakerella (03-28-2018), SparklyBirdPoo (04-08-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    A journal is a great idea, I do it for all the babies, but not my own birds. I think I should start.

Never really thought about who would care for the birds. My daughter does not like birds, and my son is just too busy. Will have to give it some thought.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-08-2018), Dragonlady2 (03-28-2018), Lady (03-29-2018)

Parrots

Angel - Cockatiel Crystal - Budgie Kiwi - Budgie
    omg, i dont want 2 even think about it, I dont rly have any friends. even more so friends that r knowledgeable with bird care. I wouldn't trust any of my friends with my fids. im not that close with anyone. and family i dont talk 2. a lot of problems, and hurt.
    I rly don't know where they could go. that's scary!
    Angel
    Crystal
    Kiwi

Parrots

Pickle- Green Cheek Conure, Wall-E- Black Capped Conure
    I don't have one but this is a fantastic idea!! I already have all of their vet information and paperwork in a folder but to start a journal for their behaviors and all of that would help others a lot in case something happens to me and my husband.

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-09-2018), Dragonlady2 (04-09-2018), plax (04-09-2018)