User Tag List

Thread: Meet Casper

Threaded View

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Meet Casper

I met my grandmothers cockatoo yesterday! His first owners severely neglected him, so he didn't have a name for most of his life, and is still getting used to having one now. He's improved a lot in the rescue but will continue to improve in his new home, without a doubt.

Here he is:

Casper was rescued from a family that kept him locked in a dark room. He only had one perch, no toys in sight, and they only interacted with him to feed him sometimes. He's an extremely affectionate little guy and as a result of this neglect, started plucking. When he came to the rescue his entire chest was bald, but as you can see, he's improved immensely and is expected to get all his feathers back! In the picture you can also see he has a rounded band. He's too young to be a wild caught imported bird -- and he has the attitude of a handfed one -- so does this mean he was transported as a pet from out of country at some point in time?

He still isn't eating pellets, but he likes vegetables and playing with his new toys. He settled in very quickly and wanted to cuddle right from the start. He seems to love everyone, coming up to greet them and throwing things for them to fetch. He is so, so cuddly and sweet, despite everything he's been through.

There is something I've noticed about him that I forgot to ask about yesterday! He opens and closes his beak when you pet him, especially when you give him kisses or make kissy noises at him. What's this mean? Is he trying to mimic the sound, or is it a cockatoo language thing? He doesn't do it otherwise so I'm very curious as to what he's communicating.
    Last edited by rivx; 03-12-2018 at 07:59 PM.

2. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-12-2018), Dragonlady2 (03-12-2018), Lady (03-18-2018), Mare (03-20-2019), PlaxMacaws (03-21-2019)