User Tag List

Thread: Aloe questions

Aloe questions

I have an 8 year old goffins cockatoo. She is a bit of a plucker. Chest/belly area and legs are frequently plucked spots. She has a perch in the shower but she doesn’t really like getting wet very often. Should I rub aloe on the exposed skin? Shoe I put aloe juice in her water?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Before putting anything on the feathers/skin, you probably should take your bird to an avian vet for a checkup, if you haven’t done so already. Sometimes allergies can cause plucking and a vet may be able to sort this out. As well, cockatoos need a lot of foraging and chewing activities.
    A collar may help instead of aloe. I am not against the aloe, however, it may mask or create more issues. I know it probably isn’t the answer you are looking for. I am just advocating for exploring other options/reasons.