User Tag List

Thread: Emergency or not?

Parrots

African Grey

Emergency or not?

So we had a bad mishap tonight. Our African Grey Buckwheat got a metal caribiner stuck between his lower beak and chin. I had to hold him and remove it. The whole situation was AWFUL!!! He was obviously panicked and in pain. Once I was able to free him, I held him for several minutes and tried to get a good look at the damage. He was bleeding but not heavily. I called several emergency vets in our area and none of them see birds. Ultimately, I just left a message with our avian vet. However, I’m still worried. The incident happened an hour or two ago and since then the area had started to swell, but it’s no longer actively bleeding. I guess I’m just wanting to see if you all think this is something that can wait until
    Monday or do we need to start looking for emergency avian vets that are farther away? I’m thinking the closest would be Nashville which is at least a 2 hour drive. Thanks so much for your help!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5A3E57E4-AE03-4829-AB21-289BBF7FF3F3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	5414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2BAF0F65-92BA-4D98-A495-6607FE08D977.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	5413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DF9460CD-E735-4A4E-8068-9FB92F4BF1E0.jpg 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	5412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5A3E57E4-AE03-4829-AB21-289BBF7FF3F3.jpg 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	5414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2BAF0F65-92BA-4D98-A495-6607FE08D977.jpg 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	5413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DF9460CD-E735-4A4E-8068-9FB92F4BF1E0.jpg 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	5412

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I’m not a vet and I would be worried about infection. Try calling an emergency vet and see if they will accept a picture of the wound to let you know if Buckwheat should be seen. Right now my concern would be the swelling. Are you able to swab the area with a little salt water? Has the bleeding fully stopped? If you can, try holding an ice cube wrapped in plastic wrap against the swelling to try to reduce it. If he stops eating, drinking and feathers are fluffed out, he will need immediate attention, in my opinion. Parrots hide their illness, just be super observant for any changes.
    Please let us know how he is doing.

Parrots

African Grey
    I called several last night and none of them would help me �� I still haven’t heard back from our vet either. He’s still eating and drinking, talking and whistling and acting like his normal self but he won’t let me hold him or get anywhere near that area. It definitely looks more swollen today. I can try to put a towel on him and swab the area with some salt water but I would hate to stress him out more than he already is.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACED810B-C739-430E-9ACF-A07162A32906.jpg 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	5416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04D579BB-0CD1-4A8E-A693-E30C0389A6E5.jpg 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	5415

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I would try to get him in to your vet tomorrow. For now, maybe you could spray the area lightly with water. Some of my birds like it…some don’t. If it stresses him out I wouldn’t push it. Hopefully your vet will be able to see him tomorrow.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Any news on Buckwheat?