User Tag List

Thread: Love that she can fly serious dilemma about wing clipping

Parrots

Lorikeet named Lady Bird

Love that she can fly serious dilemma about wing clipping

Hello internet people,

This is my first time posting to a forum ever. I have an amazing Lori named Lady bird which I just found out is in fact a lady (phew). When I bought her her wings were clipped. I have spent the last five months watching very excitedly as she has gained the ability to fly. She doesn't have all her feathers yet but she's flying around like she's being doing it all her life. I also have a wonderful dog named Winston and a large garden door named very scary. I have to let Winston out of said door to go into my yard. Lady has been getting closer and closer to this door and I am terrified that she is going to fly out of it.

Lori's seem to be pretty will full so I don't know how much success I will have in training her not to go through the door. I live in Israel which is a country that seems to have a cat obsession. So in my garden at any one time there could be three cats just waiting for a tasty Lori snack. She did get away once in the garden and was nearly eaten.

I want to hear what you as the internet think I should do. Is this a situation in which wing clipping is the right way to go? Or do you see something else as being a better option.

Please help!

Lady's Lady

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-02-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and welcome to PP.
    Perhaps a bead or bamboo screen over the doorway that dog can pass through easily but will fall back into place. Google "bead screen for doors".
    When I was a kid and we went on holidays to Spain the shop doorways used to have screens made out of Coca-Cola and beer bottle tops punched through and knotted together to keep the flies out. Modern manufacturing has taken over now
    Don't consider clipping her wings - she needs to be able to get out of the way of dozy dog.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 03-02-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following user likes this post:

Lady (03-07-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! Great name for your Lori. If you own your home can you put in a doggy door? A beaded curtain is a good idea. You will always have to have the garden door closed though. I have a beaded curtain between rooms to keep the birds apart, but if they get spooked they fly through anyway.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-02-2018), Lady (03-07-2018)

Parrots

Lorikeet named Lady Bird
    Wow I never considered I beaded curtain! It’s not my home but I was considering asking the land lord about a doggy door. I would love to have a screen door. It would be such a bummer in the summer to not be able to have the door open at all. Although I am going to build her a small aviary outside for when we are hanging out which will be cat and escape proof.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-02-2018), Dragonlady2 (03-02-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I would be concerned about cats coming into the house if doors are left open. Friends of ours have a cat that spends most of its time in their house. Somebody else gets the pleasure of feeding it and paying any vet bills but rarely get to spend time with it.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-03-2018), Lady (03-07-2018), nicholastownsend (01-19-2019)

Parrots

Cacatuoidea
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Hello and welcome to PP.
    Perhaps a bead or bamboo beaded curtains over the doorway that dog can pass through easily but will fall back into place. Google "bamboo beaded curtains screen for doors".
    When I was a kid and we went on holidays to Spain the shop doorways used to have screens made out of Coca-Cola and beer bottle tops punched through and knotted together to keep the flies out. Modern manufacturing has taken over now
    Don't consider clipping her wings - she needs to be able to get out of the way of dozy dog.
    I know this thread is very old But I want to say thank you for this advice...

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-10-2021), Dragonlady2 (09-07-2021)