User Tag List

Thread: Glad to be here

Hybrid View

Glad to be here

Hello everybody!

My name is Alex. I have one daughter and she is quite interested in colorful parrots. Hence I am wondering whether I should raise a parrot or not. If I want to have a parrot, could you please suggest me which type of parrot I should raise? Thanks so much.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! Yes, parrots are beautiful and colorful, but there is a lot of responsibility with having one. Before making the decision to get one, you should probably visit a shelter/rescue so you can see some of them up close. The people who own/run the rescue will be able to answer questions about specific birds you might be interested in. As well, you may be able to see what is required, the noise they make etc. Where are you located as we might be able to see where any might be in your area.

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (03-07-2018), Quakerella (03-13-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello Alex and welcome to PP
    You do need to learn a bit about keeping parrots before you become a guardian. The larger ones are very intelligent and live a long time. Its a bit like having a perpetual two year old in your house for fifty odd years. They also have the intellect to suffer if not given sufficient attention and should not be treated like pretty ornaments that you can change when you are bored with them.
    So I would suggest a smaller bird like a budgerigar and consider getting a same sex pair so they have company.
    As Helena advises, your first stop should be at a rescue centre, there are so many birds that have guardians who have passed away or could no longer look after their bird for whatever reason. These birds are suffering and need a loving home.
    Living with a companion bird is a wonderful experience, but can be expensive if they become ill so you will need to get petplan insurance or put money away monthly.
    Also, find out if there is an avian vet in your area before you decide.
    Don't let me put you off but do be aware what you are getting into. There is a lot more to birds in the home than there is having a pet cat or dog.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-02-2018), Lady (03-07-2018), Quakerella (03-13-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexnguyen View Post
    Hello everybody!

My name is Alex. I have one daughter and she is quite interested in colorful parrots. Hence I am wondering whether I should raise a parrot or not. If I want to have a parrot, could you please suggest me which type of parrot I should raise? Thanks so much.
    Hi Alex,
    Welcome to P.P. How old is your daughter? Have you talked with her about what she really likes about parrots? Has she ever been face to face with one at the pet shop or perhaps at the zoo? Is she old enough to help raise this new family member? These questions might help us determine which species might be a little better for all of you, but there is much more to consider as well.

7. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (03-13-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Alex and welcome. How old is your daughter? Birds are wonderful companions, and as everyone has said they do take time, effort and patience for everyone to be content and happy.
    Research first. They all have such different personalities and needs. One constant is they need to be handled and interacted with continually to keep them happy and tame.
    Were you thinking a larger parrot like an African Grey or a smaller bird like a cockatiel?

9. The following user likes this post:

Lady (03-18-2018)

Oh, thanks so much for your info and advice. My daughter is just 10 years old. I think cockatiel will fit us well. Thank you once again!

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Cockatiels are wonderful little birds, with great personalities. From my experience they are not as temperamental as a lot of other birds. They still need a lot of socializing and interaction with their caregiver to happy. The males are wonderful talkers, and the female are magnificent whistlers.

Good luck with your search, and remember there may be a rescue or shelter close by and they may have a cockatiel there that would love to have a forever home.

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (04-18-2018), Dragonlady2 (04-18-2018), Lady (04-23-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    We are looking forward to seeing pictures
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

14. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (04-18-2018)