User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macaw Body Language

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Macaw Body Language

Does anyone have any advice on reading a macaws body language?

I have never interacted with one before but my grandmother, more bird experienced than I, is adopting a blue and gold named Rachel soon!

She plans to let the bird free range when she's home, and I visit her fairly often so I'd like to prepare for interaction.

How do you read their body language? I've gotten pretty good with my 'tiel, but macaws are so different!

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-27-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-26-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I haven't any experience with macaws. Others may be along to address this with you. In the meantime, try looking for YouTube videos. It's amazing what is on the internet now.
    Kudos to your grandmother for adopting the macaw!

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-27-2018), Lady (03-07-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I think watch out for pinning eyes and fanned tail. Again, I have no experience with macaws. You can usually tell when any bird is genuinely not happy with your being close. Some birds will have a sneaky peck just to see where you are in the pecking order to which you should not react with hurt but give a stern talking to. Like children they will see how far they can push you.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-27-2018), Lady (03-07-2018)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    That is very exciting!

This is what my Rosie’s body language means - she is a GW Macaw.

Total head/neck fluff means happy.

Just top of head feathers (like a Mohawk) means stand back!

Eyes pinning can mean they are interested in what you are doing or they are thinking. But check other body language to be sure.

Blushing cheeks means happy/excited.

Full head fluff with squatting means bombs away! Poop

Foot up while looking at you means pick me up. But, if you are nervous it could end in a lunge. Macaws have a wicked sense of humor. Some think it’s funny to lure new people in, lunge and see the reaction and then laugh.

You should have a lot of fun with your grandmothers new addition. Can’t wait to read all about it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

8. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-05-2018), Dragonlady2 (03-01-2018), Lady (03-07-2018), Quakerella (03-05-2018)

Parrots

Thanks everyone! I believe Rachel got home yesterday! She will settle in for a while and I'll get some pictures up when I go to meet her. She's come a long way to get here -- her previous owner had to rent a hotel in order to transport her home -- so she's going to need some time of course!

10. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-05-2018), Dragonlady2 (03-05-2018), kendrafitz (03-07-2018), Lady (03-07-2018), Quakerella (03-05-2018)

Parrots

An update on this: Rachel did not arrive home, as her vet check revealed she has PDD. She can't live around other birds unless they also have PDD...so the vet found a rescue for macaws with PDD where she will be able to live in a large aviary with other PDD macaws. Here she will live for the rest of her life, with her special needs catered to.

It's a happy ending for her, but not the one we expected.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    What a letdown for your grandmother. The bright side is Rachel will have her needs met and that leaves a place at your grandmother's home available for another bird in need.

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-08-2018), Lady (03-11-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Wow, that all happened quickly. I am glad it had a safe outcome and hope Rachel is accepted and liked by her new friends.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-09-2018), Lady (03-11-2018)

Parrots

It seems everything is happening quickly to me -- but I'm a few steps behind when it comes to getting information! She wanted to use her space and give another needy bird a home, so she visited another rescue nearby once everything with Rachel was settled and what would you know...a five year old male cockatoo chose her. He was already proven healthy, so he arrived home today. She has no close neighbors, doesn't mind loud birds, stays at home most days, and has someone to pass him down to when she gets too old to care for him or passes away, so come to think of it...she really has a lovely environment for a 'too.

Pictures soon! She sent me a few taken when they met, and from the looks of it, he was glued to her and wasn't about to let her leave without him.
    Last edited by rivx; 03-10-2018 at 11:24 PM.

17. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-11-2018), Dragonlady2 (03-11-2018), Lady (03-11-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    That's awesome! Can't wait to see the pics!!!

19. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-11-2018), Dragonlady2 (03-11-2018)