User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rosie Goes To The Vet

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Bill's post made me think, what about one of those little hoods that they put on birds of prey that are used for hunting? Just a suggestion
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-25-2018), kendrafitz (02-27-2018)

Jody also freaks out with the sight of a towel and then to be grabbed by it and wrapped in it is just SOOO stressful on her. She had been like that the first time she had her first vet visit at 4 months of age. She flips onto her back and is ready to fight to her dying breath.

I take her to Dr Scott to get the nails done and for her I allow him to put her under with sedation as that is a lot less stressful in the long run and she has not had any issues coming out of it. I do have to laugh when she is going under, even then she is still squawking longer than it takes other birds to go under.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-26-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-25-2018), kendrafitz (02-26-2018)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Thank you everyone for your replies.

I just heard back from the vet with Rosie's blood work. Her panel is positive for bornavirus. He doesn't think I need to do much at this point besides watch her and bring her in 1 - 2 times a year for checks. He did say that I can start her on Vetri-DMG as an immune supplement. He says she may never show symptoms but I need to watch her.

I guess I have a lot of research to do. I really don't know anything about this disease besides it is not curable. Poor Rosie girl.

If anyone knows anything about it or a resource for information, I would love it if you shared. Thanks again!!
    Rosie & Kendra

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    Kendra, I did a little research and it is scary stuff. I think that if it were me I'd be looking for a second and or third opinion as far as treatment goes.
    I wish both you and Rosie the best,
    Bill
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-27-2018), kendrafitz (02-27-2018), Lady (03-07-2018)

Parrots

Very sorry to hear about Rosie, I hope the bornavirus remains dormant.
    I found this link http://www.avianbiotech.com/diseases/Bornavirus.htm
    A Bill recommends a second opinion with more tests seems a good idea to us but Rosie probably has a differing opinion.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-27-2018), kendrafitz (02-27-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Great link Jean-Pierre. I definitely would get a second opinion just to get a second testing and opinion.
    So sorry to hear about poor Rosie.

11. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-27-2018), kendrafitz (02-27-2018), Lady (03-07-2018)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Kendra-

I'm quite shocked at Rosie's diagnosis. Definitely have her retested at a different lab! As you may know, Avian Bornavirus is the precursor for PDD (otherwise known as Macaw Wasting Disease). The peculiar question in my mind is how Rosie may have contracted this virus. As far as I know, infection is believed to only stem from intimate contact with other infected birds, such as from their secretions, feces, etc.

Medical labs have been known to make mistakes and misinterpret samples. Please get a second test done! And absolutely keep us posted!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-28-2018), kendrafitz (02-28-2018), Lady (03-07-2018)

Parrots

Thank you for the link JP!!! It was helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

15. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-28-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    Kendra-

I'm quite shocked at Rosie's diagnosis. Definitely have her retested at a different lab! As you may know, Avian Bornavirus is the precursor for PDD (otherwise known as Macaw Wasting Disease). The peculiar question in my mind is how Rosie may have contracted this virus. As far as I know, infection is believed to only stem from intimate contact with other infected birds, such as from their secretions, feces, etc.

Medical labs have been known to make mistakes and misinterpret samples. Please get a second test done! And absolutely keep us posted!
    I was shocked as well. It’s not something I ever thought we would be dealing with. I haven’t heard of false positives as far as the testing goes. Definitely false negatives. But when we go back I will ask for another test.

I am not going to go for another test now as from what I have read, stress can be a factor in triggering ABV to turn to PDD. So I would rather wait and keep an eye on her for the time being. I also read that hormones can be a trigger. Which is worrying for me as Rosie is just turning 6, which means we should be hitting hormones big time.

I have read that ABV can be passed from parent to birds. Which is really the only thing I can figure. She hadn’t been around any birds since she was a baby. We brought her home at around 4 months and she has been an only bird ever since. From what the vet told me it is possible to pass from bird to bird if the uninfected bird has a compromised immune system. It seems like there is a lot to be learned about this virus.

Thank you and everyone for all of the good thoughts. Rosie and I appreciate it!! ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

17. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-28-2018), PlaxMacaws (02-28-2018)

Parrots

In the link I gave above it did say that the disease may be passed from parent to egg. If you know the breeder where Rosie came from perhaps you should contact them when/if you get confirmation of the disease. They should not be selling more birds from Rosie's parents and their lineage and should be warning the existing owners that there may be a problem with their birds. It would be interesting to hear their reaction and see if they put profit above welfare.

19. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-28-2018), kendrafitz (02-28-2018)