User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rosie Goes To The Vet

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Rosie Goes To The Vet

Rosie has been clingier than normal, hasn't had any interest in food lately and when I hold her I can hear her breathe. Not congested breathing, just regular breathing. But in our almost 6 years together I rarely hear her breathing. So I thought it would be a good idea to bring her to the vet.

We haven't been to the vet in about 2 1/2 years because she gets so stressed and worked up while we are there. To say she doesn't handle being toweled well is a major understatement. She hates anything touching her that is fabric unless she is in control. So we have been putting off our well visit. Sadly, our vet, who I LOVED has retired recently.

The office brought in a new exotics vet and assured me that he was comfortable with macaws. A huge relief since we have had issues with a vet being terrified of Rosie in the past.

I have to say, I really like the vet. He was young, but very thorough and spent a lot of time with us. Rosie has a reputation I guess b/c there was a tech and another vet in the room with us as well. It was noted in her chart that she was too freaked out last time to do a thorough exam. My poor girl.

So here was the interesting thing. They asked if they could give her a mild sedative, as studies have proven that it is safer for a very uptight bird to take medication then freak out for the whole visit. I had never heard that before. Once they assured me it was safe for Rosie, we tried it. It was very tough to start bc they had to towel her to give her the medication and she lost it. She ended up flapping around the room until she was in a corner with the towel, crying. Ugh.

Once they gave her the medication, she calmed down and was half asleep quickly. The vets did all the tests they needed with no issues. They are testing her for the routine stuff plus bornavirus to be safe. (Her lack of appetite, a head tick she has and some missing/dull choana is worrying them) I also have to switch her food and start giving her vitamin a, as she seems to be deficient.

But then she had a tough time waking up. They had to give her a shot to reverse the drug, twice. She just couldn't really wake up. Plus, she kept crying, it was so sad. It took quite a while for her to get back to normal. It's been 7 hours and she is just now starting to act like herself.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used a sedative at the vets office for their parrot? They were saying the medication they gave her might have been a bit strong and maybe next time I should give her valium when I am in the waiting room. Has anyone ever done this?

I liked that she wasn't screaming and on the verge of having a stroke or heart attack during the visit. (I am not kidding, I am generally concerned one or the other may happen at the vets office, it is that bad) But I'm not sure that I like the recovery time. I was hoping to get input from others for the future.
    Last edited by kendrafitz; 02-22-2018 at 12:44 AM.
    Rosie & Kendra

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Wow...how scary for you and Rosie. I hope Rosie is back to her old self soon. Is there any chance you could get her used to a towel so that she would be less frantic when she is restrained in one? I can't really handle my Sennie unless he is towelled. He is so used to the towel now that he just allows me to put the towel over his back. I give him his head scratches that he loves and he just snuggles in the towel. Maybe you could play peek-a-boo with Rosie using a colorful, fun towel.
    I am not sure that I would be able to have my birds sedated like that. Maybe there are some herbal remedies that Rosie could take, to take the edge off if she has to go again.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 02-22-2018 at 03:25 AM.

3. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (02-22-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Rosie is such a prima donna
    Giving her a mild sedative does seem like a good idea. What about, say once a month, start by giving her her a small amount, gradually building up till you reach a dose that would be suitable for a vets visit. That way you would know exactly what dose to give her before the visit and you will be leaving enough time between doses for her to get it all out of her system. As to what is a suitable sedative to use, a phone call to her vet for advice?

If she starts putting flowers in her feathers and wearing kaftans you have probably got it right

Did they do her bloods and stuff and were the results of the tests good?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (02-22-2018)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Poor Rosie. Zaf is also dangerously terrified at vet visits. He becomes so upset that, like you, I worry he may experience a coronary event or a stroke. I think it's important to weigh the possibility of such a catastrophe against the inherent risks of sedation (when it comes to birds like Rosie and Zaf), since with sedation the dangers that have been mitigated tend to be replaced by new ones. Zaf and I have empathy for you two, Kendra

BTW, did you mean a head "tic" (as in a twitch or muscle jerk/spasm)? Or a head "tick" (as in a bloodsucking parasite)?
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-22-2018), kendrafitz (02-22-2018)

Parrots

Thanks Helena! It's crazy, I know. I do try peek a boo and all that with her. In fact, earlier this week, I finally got her to come under a "tent" I made with a blanket. It was really just a small area by my head lifted up about 1 foot. After a lot of coaxing she came under just to give me a few "what the heck is wrong with you, you are in danger, get out!" pinches. Then she would back away. We did that a few times with lots of praise. But I'm sure we will be back at square one after yesterday.

She really just hates the towel or blankets unless she is on top of them. I wonder if she had a bad toweling experience when she was very young. I can't even dry her beak off with a towel without her attacking it. Interestingly, I can use a paper towel. I guess they are not as scary.

I have tried AviCalm at home but it doesn't seem to have much effect. That was just to help her calm down and stop yelling for me when I am more than 3 feet away. Not sure if there is anything else?
    Rosie & Kendra

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-22-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-22-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Rosie is such a prima donna
    Giving her a mild sedative does seem like a good idea. What about, say once a month, start by giving her her a small amount, gradually building up till you reach a dose that would be suitable for a vets visit. That way you would know exactly what dose to give her before the visit and you will be leaving enough time between doses for her to get it all out of her system. As to what is a suitable sedative to use, a phone call to her vet for advice?

If she starts putting flowers in her feathers and wearing kaftans you have probably got it right

Did they do her bloods and stuff and were the results of the tests good?
    That may be a very good idea, thank you. When they call with her lab work I will ask about that. I know when he mentioned using Valium next time we come in, he wanted me to do it in the waiting room. That way just in case she has an adverse reaction he is right there.

HA!! Rosie as a laid back flower child would be an interesting sight!!

They did 3 different blood tests. Still waiting for the results. Fingers crossed.
    Rosie & Kendra

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-22-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    Poor Rosie. Zaf is also dangerously terrified at vet visits. He becomes so upset that, like you, I worry he may experience a coronary event or a stroke. I think it's important to weigh the possibility of such a catastrophe against the inherent risks of sedation (when it comes to birds like Rosie and Zaf), since with sedation the dangers that have been mitigated tend to be replaced by new ones. Zaf and I have empathy for you two, Kendra

BTW, did you mean a head "tic" (as in a twitch or muscle jerk/spasm)? Or a head "tick" (as in a bloodsucking parasite)?
    Thanks Tony. I know you experience even worse reactions to the vet with poor Zaf. Have you tried light sedation with him?

It was a much easier visit once they caught her and got her sedated. Which was a 5 minute horrible HELP ME squawking, flapping, running process. Once she saw the towel come from behind the vets back she freaked. The sedation made it easier b/c she was only 1/2 awake and didn't seem aware of what was going on. Which made for a very calm Rosie. But recovery time is not what I thought it would be. She couldn't wake up and we were there for about 30 minutes while they tried to wake her. She would wake up and then fall asleep again. So they ended up giving her two shots about 15 minutes apart to reverse the sedation. Not sure what that was?

She finally stopped her pitiful crying last night but she is still very quiet today. Which normally I would be doing a happy dance about, but I know it's due to either trauma yesterday or the medication. So I am keeping close and watching her carefully. My poor girl.

Yes, sorry, I meant tic, she twitches her head a lot. I just thought it was part of her personality, but the vets were concerned.
    Rosie & Kendra

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-22-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-22-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    This whole event sounds so traumatizing for you and Rosie. I can't give much advice as I have never dealt with a large bird at the vet.

Not sure how long they last but just wondering if it is possible to give it to her before you leave the house.

15. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (02-23-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wow Kendra...
    I scoured the internet for safe calming remedies for parrots as I'm sure you have. Not having experience what you and Rosie have I would like to hear from other's as well. There are quite a bit of remedies but I would want to consult the avian vet before deciding which might be a good option. Like everyone else we too hope the exam will produce answers to what is going on with Rosie. I'm looking forward to hearing what the outcome is and I pray it is easily treated.

17. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-25-2018), kendrafitz (02-24-2018)

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    Kendra, I hope everything turns out well.

The process at my vet is that we sit and talk for 10 minutes before touching Nike in order to get her used to the vets voice. Then the Pak is unzipped and the lights turned off at which time he grabs her with a towel. She squawks for a second or two but then is quiet. I wonder if smaller birds react better in general to toweling and if they do, it might be because you can really bind up and immobilize a small bird so it cant move and that has to be a bit reassuring for them. With a larger bird who either through physical size or strength can struggle, it would seem to me that the struggling just winds them up even more.

I like the idea of a sedative such as valium to take the edge off but I would be concerned about future sedation which knock her out since she seemed to have issues waking up.

maybe a trip to Dr. K in Florida next time
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

19. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-24-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-25-2018), kendrafitz (02-24-2018)