User Tag List

Thread: Cockatiel Cage Fear Help!

Parrots

Pebbles - White Faced Cockatiel

Unhappy Cockatiel Cage Fear Help!

I just got my first bird and every night when I put her to bed she climbs to the top of the cage and doesn't move unless I'm going to take her out. I've only had her a few days and I even have her a night light. Her wings were clipped when I bought her although I'm going to let them grow out so she can fly, because I know that she will be less fearful of everything if she could fly away when she gets scared (she's very timid). Anyways she just wants to stay at the top of her cage on the side nearest to my bed and she won't move the entire night. I had to put a vegetable, water dish and perch there so she's not clinging onto the side of the cage all the time. She never makes any noise or even stretches her wings or adjusts her footing. I have read a little bit about separation anxiety and she does act a little clingy and doesn't eat and drink as much as I expected her to. I am not sure what to do because she will not even move for a treat or target stick and looks stressed, but I have carpet floors and she is not potty trained so I cannot leave her outside of the cage at night. If you know of anything I can try please let me know.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-20-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Parrots usually like a good twelve hours sleep at night and a cover over the cage so they are not disturbed. Casper always spends the night at the top of his cage, sometimes with one foot on the perch and another on the bars for stability as he has occasionally fallen off the perch in the night. So please let her do it her way.
    Is she eating and pooping normally? You make no mention of how she is during the day, or her name
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Parrots like to "roost" at the top of the cage. In the wild, they are up in the trees for nightly sleep. Will she stand on the perch that you have put there? I would also cover the top part of the cage. I have read that cockatiels can have occasional night frights. Covering the top may assist with settling her.

5. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-20-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Savannah,

Welcome to PP! Congrats on your newest member of the family. I agree with what has already been said, it is normal for them to settle in and stay put till morning.

What makes you think she is stressed? What signs do you see? Why do you think she has separation anxiety? Was she with a lot of other birds when you met her?

She very well could be a bit stressed, after all she just made a new transition into a different place with new sights, smells and sounds. Her house is different and look how up close and personal the new people in her life are now.

Sometimes we forget to look at the world from their point of view. She should settle down in a few weeks and her personality will start coming out because by then she will begin to feel more comfortable and safe. Take a step back and give her some space. Hang out with her near her cage and just read to her or play some soft music and get to know who she is.

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-22-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-21-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Savannah and welcome. We have birds that like to be close to the top of the cage as well. If she is eating and her droppings are normal I wouldn't worry. Give her time to become accustomed to her new surroundings.