User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Ekkie food advice please.

 
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    PandJY's Avatar


    Parrots

    Green cheeked conure - Calvin Eclectus parrot - Camille

    Smile Ekkie food advice please.

    Camille is growing well and enjoying a variety of fresh foods. She also gets Zupreem Eclectus pellets.

    When both birds are out she will hop over to Calvin's cage and eat his colored Zupreem pellets - is that bad? We read that ekkies should not have food dye (we actually have Zupreem seed mix and pull the colored pellets out for her)

    I just want to make sure we are giving her the right things - I will tell you she eats a better variety of greens and veggies that we do!

    Thanks everyone!

  2. The following user likes this post:

    Dragonlady2 (02-20-2018)

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Casper's 2nd best friend's Avatar


    Parrots

    Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Its good to hear she has a healthy appetite. Does she just pick out the coloured pellets from Calvin's bowl or is it just 'grab what I can'?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

  4. The following user likes this post:

    Lady (02-21-2018)

  5. #3
    Super Moderator
    Dragonlady2's Avatar


    Parrots

    Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine,Mookie-Senegal,Bella- Australian King,Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure,Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    My Ekkie does not eat any pellets. He is on a fresh food diet with added sprouts and mashed sweet potato. Because of their longer digestive tracts, ekkies are very efficient in getting their required nutrients from an all natural diet. The problem with pellets are that most of them are enriched/fortified which can lead to an overload in vitamins which can result in toe tapping and wing flipping. My Ekkie has experienced both of these issues when I attempted pellets. The other issue with pellets is the sugar content in some. Spirulina is reportedly another concern. The only pellet that I would feed Willie, if he would eat them, is TOPs (Totally Organic Pellets). Lots of people feed their Ekkie pellets with no probems.
    If you can, I would redirect her from your other bird's pellets.
    Great job on getting her to eat her greens!

  6. The following 2 users like this post:

    Casper's 2nd best friend (02-20-2018), Lady (02-21-2018)

  7. #4
    Junior Member
    PandJY's Avatar


    Parrots

    Green cheeked conure - Calvin Eclectus parrot - Camille
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Its good to hear she has a healthy appetite. Does she just pick out the coloured pellets from Calvin's bowl or is it just 'grab what I can'?
    Like a thief in the night - She will just dip her head into the bowl and grab what she can! I just don't want to upset her constitution.

  8. The following user likes this post:

    Casper's 2nd best friend (02-21-2018)

  9. #5
    Junior Member
    PandJY's Avatar


    Parrots

    Green cheeked conure - Calvin Eclectus parrot - Camille
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    My Ekkie does not eat any pellets. He is on a fresh food diet with added sprouts and mashed sweet potato. Because of their longer digestive tracts, ekkies are very efficient in getting their required nutrients from an all natural diet. The problem with pellets are that most of them are enriched/fortified which can lead to an overload in vitamins which can result in toe tapping and wing flipping. My Ekkie has experienced both of these issues when I attempted pellets. The other issue with pellets is the sugar content in some. Spirulina is reportedly another concern. The only pellet that I would feed Willie, if he would eat them, is TOPs (Totally Organic Pellets). Lots of people feed their Ekkie pellets with no probems.
    If you can, I would redirect her from your other bird's pellets.
    Great job on getting her to eat her greens!
    I was successful today with redirection - but that was mostly because my neighbor was over and Camille isn't sure how she feels about her.

    As far as the green - I laugh everytime she looks up from the bowl with Kale hanging out of her mouth.

    EDIT: I will keep pellet to a minimum!


    Oh, she is a big food in the water dish girl - is that common?

  10. The following 2 users like this post:

    Casper's 2nd best friend (02-21-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-21-2018)

  11. #6
    Senior Member
    Casper's 2nd best friend's Avatar


    Parrots

    Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I would love to see a photo of her with a beak full of greens
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

  12. The following user likes this post:

    Lady (02-21-2018)

  13. #7
    Senior Member
    Casper's 2nd best friend's Avatar


    Parrots

    Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Sally Blanchard has just written an article in her newsletter #47 which is mainly about aging parrots but has useful information and opinion on pellet diets.
    Search for Companion parrot online
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

  14. The following user likes this post:

    Dragonlady2 (02-22-2018)

  15. #8
    Super Moderator
    Dragonlady2's Avatar


    Parrots

    Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine,Mookie-Senegal,Bella- Australian King,Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure,Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    A lot of parrots like to make "soup" with their food. I have a couple that I have to change their water bowls a couple of times a day...lol

  16. The following 2 users like this post:

    Casper's 2nd best friend (02-22-2018), Lady (02-24-2018)

  17. #9
    Junior Member
    PandJY's Avatar


    Parrots

    Green cheeked conure - Calvin Eclectus parrot - Camille
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    I would love to see a photo of her with a beak full of greens
    I will get a picture and have my daughter put it up (the whole thing confuses me!)

  18. The following user likes this post:

    Casper's 2nd best friend (02-24-2018)

  19. #10
    Junior Member
    PandJY's Avatar


    Parrots

    Green cheeked conure - Calvin Eclectus parrot - Camille
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    A lot of parrots like to make "soup" with their food. I have a couple that I have to change their water bowls a couple of times a day...lol
    WOW! That's exactly what I am now calling it! It must be instinct. This morning it almost looked good! LOL

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    has just written an article in her newsletter #47 which is mainly about aging parrots but has useful information and opinion on pellet diets.
    Search for Companion parrot online
    Thank you, I will!

  20. The following 2 users like this post:

    Casper's 2nd best friend (02-24-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-24-2018)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •