User Tag List

Thread: Need some help/advice

Parrots

Blue Fronted Amazon cocatiel

Need some help/advice

Hello! This is my first post, so I hope I am doing it right. I adopted a Blue Fronted about 8 years ago from a local rescue, her name is Petunia. She has never been a "people" bird. She has always been rather aggressive, but after a couple months and a lot of patience, she decided I was ok and we became great friends. Due to my mothers declining health, 6 years ago Petunia, her brother dog and I moved in with my mother so I could help her out. After about 3 years, Petunia decided she was in love with my mother and pretty much wanted me to die. We learned to coexist, as long as I didn't go near my mom or attempt any contact with Petunia (other than feeding and cleaning the cage) she would usually allow me to enter the living room. There was always the threat of a dive-bomb attack when i walked by, but normally she would be ok. All mom would have to do was say "Ok pickle, time to go nite-nite" and Petunia would go in her cage. Until she decided she hated me, she would listen to me and go back to her cage at night as well. 2 weeks ago, my mother had a stroke and was left with fairly significant vascular dementia. She no longer remembers the bird, the house or anything really. Petunia simply will not allow me (or anyone for that matter) to go near my mother. This is a real problem since mom needs help with almost everything. I did make the mistake of letting the bird out of her cage once mom came home, which resulted in the bird attacking me (she flew at me, landed on the back of my head, grabbed my hair with her feet and proceeded to bite the crap out of my scalp). Then, it took almost 4 hours to get her back in the cage. Currently she does not have her wings clipped. I stopped clipping them shortly after I got her b/c even with them clipped, she was a sturdy flyer and having them clipped didn't seem to make a difference. Typically, in the mornings I would feed and clean the cage and she would come out. She normally would hop up on my arm and let me pet her head for a few minutes, then she would go to her play stand and wait for mom to wake up. Once mom was in the living room, Petunia would just hang out with mom until mom told her to go nite-nite. Now, I can't let her out b/c not only does she attack me, she won't willingly go back for me. I don't want her to live the rest of her life in her cage, but I don't want to get bit either. Any advice on how I can get past this with her?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! So sorry to hear about your mother. Just trying to sort out the kind of bird you have...is it an amazon or a cockatiel? Thanks for adopting her and giving her a home.
    For safety, right now I would give her a light clip. She may feel less empowered to go after you. Try stick training her so that she steps up on a stick or rope perch so that you can move her when necessary. Is there a way to hang a sheer curtain separating Petunia/cage from your mother. You will be able to pull the curtain closed when you have to help your mother but Petunia can still see what's going on. I use sheers to separate my birds when they are out as some are not as friendly as others. Probably won't hurt to get her used to toweling. You may be able to defend yourself and catch her with a towel if required. You will have to start gathering a "bag of tricks" to manage her.
    She may be hormonal which adds to the negative behaviour. Is she on a schedule? Up at a certain time, covered for bed at a certain time? Schedules help with managing behaviour. Can you take her cage out of the room your mother is in for short periods of time? You may be able to work with her when she is not able to see your mother.
    Thanks for not giving up on her.

3. The following user likes this post:

Lady (02-13-2018)

Parrots

Thank you for your reply! Petunia is an Amazon. (We also have a cockatiel, but he isn't any trouble at all lol )She hates the stick/perch, but will normally hop on my arm (if only to bite it). She has never stepped up on a stick/perch for me. I think she may have had some not so good experiences in her past (the rescue didn't have a lot of info on her) I did get a hidden bite sleeve for training dogs and wear it under a shirt so she doesn't know it's there. Now when she tries to rip the flesh off my arm, she gets no reaction. Like most Amazons, she thrives on any reaction, good or bad. My hope is that after time she will realize biting does nothing and stop doing it. Seriously, she will walk across the entire living room, climb up my leg just to bite me and then fly home. Her schedule is all kinds of messed up since the stroke. We are slowly getting back on a more normal one. I'm sure a lot of her problems are that mom doesn't interact with her like she used to, but she is not capable any more I'm hoping that since I am home all the time now, she will get back to letting me interact with her. I'll be honest, she has attacked me so many times that I am somewhat fearful of her. Hopefully we can gain each others trust back. I miss holding her and playing with her! I think you are right, clipping her wings may deter her at least from chasing me down the hall to peck my eyes out and make it easier to towel her to get her back in the cage.

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-10-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    The poor little thing is probably a bit confused as to what is going on. She is not getting any response from her best friend.
    Casper was in a similar situation when my Mother had a stroke. He was not let out of a very small cage for ten years because he was not liked by my father who was caring for my mother. When my father died about six years ago my mother went to a very good nursing home near my sister, and Casper came to live with us.
    He was fine with Margaret (my wife and his best friend) from day 1 but it took him six months to realise that I was a much nicer person than my father and feel safe with me. I was bitten quite a lot during that transition but now we are super friends, considering what he has been through he is a very well balanced character. We do dedicate a lot of our day to him, which must be impossible for you at the moment as you are looking after your mother.
    I do hope you and Petunia can be friends again, it may take a while and a bit of bribery.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-11-2018), Lady (02-13-2018)

Parrots

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry for the loss of your parents. I know how hard it is. Little Miss Pickle Face (aka Petunia) has been through a lot with all the changes. I know that, and I also know things with her take a lot of time lol Today she allowed me to give her a shower......first time in years that she has allowed me to do it. I know that in time, things will be fine and she will get used to the situation. I know she doesn't understand why mom isn't loving on her the way she used to, but in time, she will let me take over again.

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-12-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-11-2018), Lady (02-13-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Marianne and welcome. So sorry to hear about your mother, and of course the problems with Petunia. I too care for my mother who has severe vascular dementia. It is progressing and Mom requires much care, hence the reason I am not here as much as I should be.

I like the idea of moving the cage to an area that is away from the sight of your mother. You may be able to work with Petunia (when you have time) to get her to love and trust you again. I believe as long as she can see your mother this will be difficult to attempt. I have found schedules are hard to keep as your mom will now dictate your schedule. It is hard but I do hope Petunia comes to love you again.

11. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-14-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-14-2018), Lady (02-14-2018)

Parrots

Thank you. I may consider moving her cage. I just hate to put her in solitude :/ We are making tiny itty-bitty progress daily, so I will see how it goes. I know she is confused and will take a long time to adapt. We'll get there. She even let me pet her head today

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-16-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-16-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Its good to hear that you are making a bit of progress. Keep up the good work with both your patients.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-16-2018), Lady (02-18-2018), Quakerella (02-23-2018)