User Tag List

Thread: I tried this before but it didn't work .... lol

Parrots

Green cheeked conure - Calvin Eclectus parrot - Camille

I tried this before but it didn't work .... lol

Let's talk poop.

I do not like the birds to only walk on the cage wire so in Calvin's (gcc) cage we have a piece of gravel cage liner on the back half of the cage floor. It is an easy clean, one paper out and another in.

Camille's (ekkie) cage is much bigger so we have put a plastic runner on half. We will then put some newspaper on top of that but this little super duper pooper also flaps her wings hard enough for the paper to swish around. Think jet engine wind speed.

So, my questions are 1) should we bother with a flat surface at all? The each have a flat topped play surface and get floor time. We also have a corner ledge in each cage so they can choose flat sleeping area. OR 2) How do you keep a cage cleanish?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Casper prefers to poop from a great height, usually from the perch which we call his balcony fixed to the front of his cage onto newspaper which is always below, or from one of his sleeping perches into the bottom of the cage which has a tray lined with newspaper below a pull-out set of bars presumably there to stop him from wandering around in his poop. But he rarely goes down to the bottom of his cage unless he has accidentally dropped a tasty nut or something. The grid also stops him from rummaging under the newspaper and tearing it up. He does that in his carry cage on the way to the vet. He occasionally poops into one of his food bowls. We are never sure if this is accidental or a criticism of chefs offering.
    Cage gets cleaned and fresh newspaper every day. A flat surface is a lot easier to clean than cage bars. Poop-off bottle with brush head and the tub of wipes are great.
    Casper on his balcony:

Casper being cute by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-09-2018), Lady (02-13-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I use newspaper all over the bottom of the cages and change daily...sometimes twice with my eclectus. Due to his all fresh food diet, his poops are pretty watery....think puddles...lol.

5. The following user likes this post:

Lady (02-13-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Casper prefers to poop from a great height, usually from the perch which we call his balcony fixed to the front of his cage onto newspaper which is always below, or from one of his sleeping perches into the bottom of the cage which has a tray lined with newspaper below a pull-out set of bars presumably there to stop him from wandering around in his poop. But he rarely goes down to the bottom of his cage unless he has accidentally dropped a tasty nut or something. The grid also stops him from rummaging under the newspaper and tearing it up. He does that in his carry cage on the way to the vet. He occasionally poops into one of his food bowls. We are never sure if this is accidental or a criticism of chefs offering.
    Cage gets cleaned and fresh newspaper every day. A flat surface is a lot easier to clean than cage bars. Poop-off bottle with brush head and the tub of wipes are great.
    Casper on his balcony:

Casper being cute by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr
    Casper is quite a beauty! I am guessing news papers are now my friend LOL.

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-10-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-10-2018), Lady (02-13-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    I use newspaper all over the bottom of the cages and change daily...sometimes twice with my eclectus. Due to his all fresh food diet, his poops are pretty watery....think puddles...lol.
    Yes, puddles! We will be making newspaper our friend!

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-10-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-10-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Neighbours who have a daily newspaper will become your new best friends.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

11. The following user likes this post:

PandJY (02-11-2018)