User Tag List

Thread: Innate, learned or taught ??

Parrots

Green cheeked conure - Calvin Eclectus parrot - Camille

Innate, learned or taught ??

My eclectus parrot is almost 3 months old. She is fully feathered and now in her huge cage. We have a low perch (with water and pellets), a rope perch to reach the cage water and pellet area and a wooden perch across the top most part of the cage. Camille has figured out how to climb up the sides of the cage because of the horizontal bars but she can not figure out how to get down (My conure uses the vertical bars, on his cage, and rappels down Cue: cat burglar music) Will Camille ever learn to do that or will she keep dropping from half way down?

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-26-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Dropping from halfway down onto her butt feathers? Ouch. Casper likes to slide down the vertical bars, sometimes head first. He climbs down the horizontal bars tail first to his food bowls, when he thinks he is close a little leg reaches out behind him to try and feel the bowl. Because there are very few cages in the Amazon canopy I can only presume that he is not acting instinctively but has taught himself. He does tend to reach the floor from the seat of the sofa by hanging off the edge by his beak and dropping onto his butt feathers. We have suggested that flying down might be a better option but he likes to do it his own way.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 01-26-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-26-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Well, she is only three months old and much heavier than a conure. Eclectus' don't seem to be as agile with moving up and down those vertical bars like a smaller bird. My eclectus uses his beak and claws to navigate the verticle bars by crossing them in a spiral direction or he flies/drops to the bottom. He very seldom slides down them.
    As well, you may find that your eclectus doesn't hold or manipulate its food with his feet like your conure. My conure doesn't need his beak to move around the cage as he is quite agile and just uses his feet.

6. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-26-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Dropping from halfway down onto her butt feathers? Ouch. Casper likes to slide down the vertical bars, sometimes head first. He climbs down the horizontal bars tail first to his food bowls, when he thinks he is close a little leg reaches out behind him to try and feel the bowl. Because there are very few cages in the Amazon canopy I can only presume that he is not acting instinctively but has taught himself. He does tend to reach the floor from the seat of the sofa by hanging off the edge by his beak and dropping onto his butt feathers. We have suggested that flying down might be a better option but he likes to do it his own way.
    I'm sitting with her now and UP she goes, sits on her perch and then she starts the downward "spiral" I suppose it isn't bothering her ... i just get nervous for her. LOL

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-26-2018), Dragonlady2 (01-26-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Well, she is only three months old and much heavier than a conure. Eclectus' don't seem to be as agile with moving up and down those vertical bars like a smaller bird. My eclectus uses his beak and claws to navigate the verticle bars by crossing them in a spiral direction or he flies/drops to the bottom. He very seldom slides down them.
    As well, you may find that your eclectus doesn't hold or manipulate its food with his feet like your conure. My conure doesn't need his beak to move around the cage as he is quite agile and just uses his feet.
    While she does stand on one foot - your right, she has never taken her food in it. We laugh because it would be so much easier but I never even thought that it is something she probably will not be able to do!

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-26-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Eclectus do live a different lifestyle to other parrots in the wild*, the females stay home in a hole in a tree whilst the males bring them food so she can be excused for not behaving like your other bird.

*I know this is true because I saw it on youtube.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

12. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-27-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Isn't it funny how the different species all have their different ways. My quaker loves to climb the bars, as do my cockatiels. I have never seen my Eastern Rosella anywhere near the bars, she just seems to jump from perch to perch.

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-28-2018), Dragonlady2 (01-27-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Eclectus do live a different lifestyle to other parrots in the wild*, the females stay home in a hole in a tree whilst the males bring them food so she can be excused for not behaving like your other bird.

*I know this is true because I saw it on youtube.
    LOL, my husband is going to love this! He lives in a house with pampered women!

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-28-2018), Dragonlady2 (01-28-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    Isn't it funny how the different species all have their different ways. My quaker loves to climb the bars, as do my cockatiels. I have never seen my Eastern Rosella anywhere near the bars, she just seems to jump from perch to perch.
    I still have to learn the fine points of their personalities. She is actually better about it today - it's was nerve wracking!

18. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-28-2018)